Chapter 5: Setting Her Free

Edit by EL_Vader 💔

The repeated buzzing of a doorbell rouses Casey from a restless sleep. He groans and blinks groggily, mashing his pillow over his ears. For a second, he almost believes that he dreamed the noise, but then it goes off again and any thoughts of returning to sleep disappear.

He pulls himself out of bed, yawning as he runs his hands through his shaggy bedhead. He's just woken up and he's already done with being awake. Just another morning, in his mind.

He doesn't bother getting dressed as he drags himself down the hallway. Whoever wants to wake him up this early on a Sunday deserves to see him in his hockey-print boxers. If they're uncomfortable, serves them right.

He yanks the door open, coming face to face with a pretty pair of azure eyes. April smiles when she sees him, excitement radiating from her like sunbeams.

"Casey! You'll never guess...what..." She trails off as her attention drifts from his face to the rest of him, her cheeks turning pink. "Um, you..."

He yawns again, rolling his eyes a little at his girlfriend's staring. "You gonna ogle me all day, Red?"

She blushes deeper as she shakes her head, composing herself. "Can I come in?"

"Sure. Free country."

He steps aside, letting her into the apartment and shutting the door behind him. She turns, crossing her arms over her chest as she eyes him again. She's oddly dressed up, he notices, her hair curled and loose, dressed in a sharp black blazer and pencil skirt. She's done her makeup differently today, although he's screwed if anyone asks him how it's different. It just makes her seem...intensely professional, almost intimidating.

Devastatingly beautiful.

"Do you need to get dressed?" she asks. "I can wait."

"I'm just gonna sleep again," he says, scratching his stomach as he moves to the kitchen. "What's got you all dolled up this early anyway?"

She gives him an incredulous look. "It's three in the afternoon."

He glances at the microwave and, sure enough, she's right. He doesn't comment as he starts making himself a coffee. April wanders into the kitchen, arms still crossed as she runs her hand up and down her sleeve.

"How'd it go with Andy?" she asks.

"What about her?"

She sighs. "The guys told me about your visit. Don't play dumb."

He glances at her with a fake, closed-lip smile. "Oh, too late."

"Casey..."

"Do you have something to say or did you just come to check on me?"

"Both, actually." She smooths her skirt, brightness returning to her eyes. "I was chatting with Ms. Somerset again." He groans and she holds her hand up. "Just wait. I was thinking that you needed some sort of extracurricular now that you're not on the hockey team anymore."

Not allowed on the hockey team anymore, he thinks bitterly.

"There's a young adult league you could join. They do friendlies with other teams in the city, but Ms. S said she thinks you could benefit from work experience. Volunteering! It might help you figure out what sort of job you'd like to do once you've got your credit."

He sets his mug below the coffee maker, pressing a button. It whirs to life and he turns back to April and leans against the counter. She digs into the messenger bag on her shoulder, producing a stack of papers.