Chapter 33: Talking to Her

Zilla hovers in the lair, listening to the sounds resonating in the space. The other mutants and Annalise have already fallen asleep, cuddled up in their beds in the hopes of being prepared for the upcoming confrontation with the Necromancer. Casey sleeps on the couch, one arm hanging over his eyes while the other hangs off the edge. He snores every now and then, making Zilla smile without trying to.

Faint ringing shatter the silence. She glances towards Donatello and Sarina's laboratory, the sound continuing on. Quick as a wink, she soars to the lab to see Donnie's t-phone ringing over and over again. She glances around, levitating a pencil and using that to click the speakerphone button.

"Hello? Donnie?" a female's voice asks.

Zilla moves closer to the phone, swallowing. "Apologies, Donnie is asleep right now. Who is this?"

There's a beat of silence. "Uh, it's April...April O'Neil. Can I ask who you are?"

The shadow girl looks out of the lab fleetingly, knowing exactly who this girl is. She takes a long breath and composes herself.

"I'm Zilla. I'm a friend," she responds.

"Oh! You're the girl that saved Raph's life. Donnie mentioned that Casey's been hanging out with you?"

She winces, not wanting to get yelled at by the redhead. Sure, she's Casey's ex, but Zilla knows how some ex-girlfriends can be when it comes to other girls.

"Uh...yeah, I'm that one," she squeaks.

There's a soft laugh from the other side. It cuts off. "Sorry, I'm being weird. It's just...well, Donnie called me recently. He said Casey got really hurt. Is he okay?"

A sigh of relief leaves Zilla. "He's fine. He's a bit sore, but you know him..."

"Stubborn and reckless?"

"Exactly."

April laughs again. "What a doofus," she mutters, although her tone is more loving than annoyed.

"I hear that," Zilla agrees, finding herself smiling.

"Oh, look, I wanted to thank you for everything," the redhead comments, surprising the sentient shadow. "Donnie and Destiny have been giving me updates...I asked them to before I left. They've both said that you've been helping Casey with coping. You have no idea how much that means to me."

Zilla swallows, knowing that her palms would be getting sweaty if she were human. "Really? I doubt that, April, and I mean that in the least offensive way possible."

"Are you kidding?" April asks, her tone soft. "Look, when I left, he was a shell of what he used to be. From what I hear now, he's smiling. He's acting like himself, little by little. That only happened once he found you, and..." She trails off as there's a long breath. "Well, I'm glad to see that he's getting better." Zilla doesn't respond, her thoughts starting to buzz.  "But yeah, just thank you for helping all of them. I appreciate it."

"You're welcome, April."

"Goodnight! Say hi to everyone for me, okay?"

"Yeah...goodnight."

The line goes dead, leaving a dial tone. Zilla forces the pen back onto the end call button, gliding back out to the living room. Casey still sleeps soundly, his face set in a blissful smile. She floats closer to him, sighing heavily.