Chapter 26: The Lies She Tells

The entire next day is just as uneventful as most school days for Casey, his routine starting to feel more and more like a rut. The only thing that keeps him going throughout the day is the thought of getting back to Nezbit Mechanics and talking to Eustace and Harry again.

When the last bell rings, he's out the door and skating down the street faster than most other kids. He grins, his gap-filled smile completely visible and the cold air nipping at his freckled cheeks. He doesn't mind at all.

He finds Eustace digging through a large box of spare parts, a smudge of oil crossing his cheek and his muscled arms holding the same markings. He's obviously been working for quite a while already.

"Casey, my man!" Harry greets, startling his husband into jerking his head upwards. The brunet grins and claps Casey on the shoulder, holding a can of Coke out to him. "Want one?"

"Sure," Casey says, taking the can and popping the tab easily.

Eustace drags his forearm across his forehead, leaving another smudge of black above his pale eyebrows. He smiles at both Casey and Harry, wiping his hands off on his tattered jeans.

"Eust, you're all messy again," Harry reminds him, hurrying over to his side. "Hold on."

He reaches up and rubs his thumb on the smudge, making Eustace's forehead wrinkle as he laughs.

"Hey hey, it's okay, I'll shower up once we get home," he says.

Harry rolls his eyes and looks back to Casey, who smirks widely as he takes a sip of his soda.

"Believe it or not, he's the clean guy," the shorter man comments, jerking his thumb over his shoulder. "Always wearing button up shirts and clean jeans, this guy. I'm the one in t-shirts and sweatpants."

Eustace shrugs, as if to say 'guilty'. "This is my comfort place. Everywhere else has people just waiting to judge you. Tough world, it is."

Casey nods. "I know that all too well."

"Come, I think I found the correct part to fix the carburetor," he says, urging him closer as he takes a quick swig of his Sprite.

"Yes sir, Mr Nezbit," the dark-haired teen jokes, saluting as he wanders over.

As they fall back into the routine of repairs, Casey's eyes wander back to Harry's regular spot near the tool wall, his chair usually occupied by the said man. However, today, Harry is standing in front of a cork-board absolutely crammed with photos, each one held up by different coloured tacks. The man has a longing look hiding deep within his blue eyes, his arms crossed over his chest as he adjusts the board slightly.

Casey moves closer, finally able to see the pictures. It's all of Harry, Eustace, and a little girl with caramel coloured skin and straight black hair hanging just above her shoulders. She's smiling widely in almost every photo, revealing slightly crooked teeth, and a spray of freckles cover her nose. She can't be more than twelve years old in the newest photo, and yet Casey finds her strangely beautiful...and strangely familiar.

"Who's that?" he asks, pointing to a picture of the girl in a soccer jersey with a ball resting beneath her foot.

Harry's lips purse. Behind them, Casey hears Eustace stop his work. Silence settles for a second, instantly making the teen regret saying anything.