Chapter 23: Asking More Questions

"So...thank you, for coming back."

"Just cut to the chase."

Leonardo's lips purse as he casts a brief look at Casey. Casey shakes his head and pinwheels his hand in an encouraging motion. There's no point in waxing on about gratefulness or anything of the sort. Shadow won't believe that it's genuine.

The other turtles, Sarina, Destiny, and Annalise sit scattered around the living room, watching the interaction in silence. Casey sits with his feet on the sunken bench, elbows braced against his knees, ready to jump in.

"It's pretty simple," Leonardo says. "We can't get past the doors. We're hoping you could get in and scope the place out. Strictly information gathering."

"Sarina and I mutated a camera and microphone that you should be able to wear. We're confident it will work, since Casey said our soccer ball was a success," Donatello adds.

Shadow glances at him. "You already mutated things? What if I didn't agree to help?"

Sarina tilts her head a little as she shrugs gently. "If not, then we could treat it as another experiment."

She sighs and looks back at Leonardo. "So...I just go in, film some stuff, and get out? That's it?" she clarifies. Her expression betrays nothing, but her voice is pinched, tense.

"Pretty much. We're hoping that once we figure out who's behind this, we'll be able to plan for a bigger bust," Leonardo says. "Right now, we're too much in the dark to make any concrete plans." He clears his throat. "Um, no pun intended."

She rolls her eyes. Casey purses his lips against a laugh.

"When would I be doing this?" she asks.

"Well...as soon as possible would be great, but we'll work on your schedule," Leonardo says.

"How thoughtful," she states, drier than a desert. "I can do it now. Get it over with." She eyes Donatello and Sarina again. "The equipment is ready, right?"

"Wait, now?" Leonardo repeats. "Are you sure? If you need to rest—"

"If you want me to help, stop talking. I'm fine."

Leonardo gawks, again giving Casey a confused, shocked look. Casey shrugs. He's not a translator; he should stop looking to him for answers. All Casey knows is that she knows where she's going and that she has some history there, but he isn't about to air her dirty laundry to the others. He's already on thin ice.

Sarina rises to her feet and clasps her hands together. "Let us get you equipped, then."

Shadow follows Sarina and Donatello to the laboratory, the three of them disappearing inside, and Leonardo sighs, pinching the bridge between his eyes. Destiny gets up and moves to him, wrapping him in a gentle hug.

"It's okay," she murmurs. "We'll figure it out. Everything will be fine."

"I hope so," he replies. He sighs again as he droops his head onto her shoulder, trying to relax as she rubs his shell.

Raphael blows out a breath as he reaches for the TV remote. "So, what do we do? Sit on our butts and wait?"

"D said there'd be a video feed for us to watch on our end," Michelangelo says. "Live-streaming at its finest."

"I just hope it all goes okay..." Annalise says. "Shadow seems tense."

Casey bites his tongue. Tense is certainly one term for it.

----------

Not too long after, Shadow heads out, armed with a camera, earpiece, and a set of coordinates. She accepted the directions despite knowing exactly where to go. They wouldn't take it well if they knew.