Chapter 19: Meeting the Nezbits

Casey doesn't expect his call with the mechanic to go so well. The guy on the other end of the line, Harry, seems incredibly excited to talk to him and invites him to come for an in-person interview the next afternoon, and Casey promises to stop by once he finishes his math class for the day.

And that's what he does. He finishes his class and heads out, following his phone map to the shop. He reaches it in good time, coming face to face with a quaint little garage with a sign reading "Nezbit Mechanics EST. 1995." Two large garage doors sit side by side with a smaller brick building that must be the waiting area and, sure enough, there's a red "HELP WANTED" sign leaned up against the front window. A black cat lies curled in one of the second-story windows, watching him intently. Graffiti marks the brick, semi-faded, and when Casey pushes the front door open, a bell dings.

He's never been here and yet he's struck with how familiar the place is. It's like a vintage car museum, the walls plastered with old posters and a few framed pictures. There's a framed autographed jersey for the New York Rangers hanging on the wall and a ton of posters for rock bands from the 80s and 90s wallpapering the place. The vibes, as Casey would put it, are immaculate. The scent of motor oil, cologne, and air fresheners greets him as he approaches the man at the front desk.

The man reads a sports magazine with an almost childlike glint in his blue eyes, his short brown hair gelled into spikes and golden hoop earrings glinting whenever he moves. He doesn't notice Casey, yawning as he scratches the well-groomed brown beard lining his strong jaw, and Casey doesn't blame him. After all, there's a loud buzzing sound coming from behind a set of doors on the far wall, no doubt leading into the garage.

He reaches the desk, clearing his throat. "Uh, hey?"

The man looks up, startling a little as he scrambles to put his magazine aside. "Oh! Sorry, I didn't see you there!" he says with a smile, getting to his feet. He comes around the other side of the desk, extending his hand. "You must be Casey! We talked on the phone."

Casey takes his hand and shakes it. "So, you're Harry Nezbit? Like the sign outside?"

"That's me," he says.

"I didn't think I'd meet the owner first thing."

He laughs. "Oh, I'm not the owner! That'd be my husband. Hold on, I'll get him," he says. Before Casey can react, Harry hurries to the door and opens it. The buzzing gets louder, blending with the sound of rock music. "EUSTACE! CASEY IS HERE!"

"WHAT?!"

"CASEY JONES! HE'S THE NEW GUY!"

"OH! GOTCHA!"

The buzzing shuts off, the music following shortly after. A tall, handsome, stubbled man in an oil-spotted grey t-shirt appears, his blond hair pulled back in a ponytail. He flashes a dazzling white smile as he wipes off his smudged hands on an equally smudged rag.

"Hey, great to have you here!" he says with all the vigour that his husband did. "Harry said you called about the job?"

Casey nods. "I'm, uh...yeah, sort of. I've got a bit of an odd situation, but someone recommended this place and..." He waves his hands awkwardly before shoving them in his hoodie pockets.

Harry tilts his head a little. "Well, feel free to share! What are you hoping for?"

He feels knots in his stomach. He hasn't ever had a job and he's never done an interview anywhere. What does he say? Is honesty the best policy? These guys seem nice enough.

"So, actually...I'm trying to get my diploma right now. Long story, but I failed math and it was the only credit I needed to pass," he explains. The men nod, listening intently. "The school wants me to take on some volunteer work for extra credit. I'm hoping...you guys would be willing to take me on?"