07

The next morning when I woke up,the sun was high in the sky and a warm breeze ran through the room. The smell of summer was in the air and I sat up in bed before looking at the clock.

  It read 9:35 and I stretched before walking over to my drawers and pulling out a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I put on a pair of tennis shoes and walked out of my room to see Nicole coming out of her room. She was wearing gym shorts and a simple blue top with tennis shoes.

   A backpack was on her back and I raised an eyebrow.

   "Oh this is for our lunch and I'm gonna put some drinks in there. I used to use it in school." She quickly explained.

   "Oh,let me go grab mine." I said before running back into my room.

  I picked up my now empty backpack and grabbed a sheet from the closet in my room. I ran down the stairs and threw together a lunch for myself and added some drinks. Nicole was doing the same,and soon we were running towards the woods in the humid summer air. We passed a large barn,where cows,and horses were busy eating grass along with a few goats. We passed the large lake,and I noticed two kyaks and a paddle boat. We started running on the trail,sweat already dripping down my back and face. It felt good to be in the sun finally,and I hoped for my skin to stop being so pale.

We came to a stop as the path veered to the left,and a path to the right that led up. I glanced to the right to find that it went up and there were rocks everywhere.

"I say we go to the right. We have to get the hard path over with first,and maybe there will be an opening in the barb wire." I pointed out,while catching my breath.

"Alright,and there will be some rocks to stop and sit on." Nicole replied as she started on the path.

I followed thinking of home and escape.
-----

"Be careful Summer! There's some sharp rocks up here,and they're kinda hard to hold onto." Nicole called down.

We were climbing up a path filled with rocks and it seemed by the minute,it got harder and harder to hold on. I was about to give up when I looked up and saw trees,and then wire.

"Nicole," I gasped,"it's right there!" I said beginning to climb faster,breathing in gulps of air.

My palms were scratched up,and my knee was aching,from tripping and falling on the path. Nicole pulled herself up and reached down to pull me up. We layed down in the dirt at the top of the hill to catch our breath,and when we stood up, I ran over to the wire and began pulling at it,ignoring the pain it was causing. I gasped in pain as it cut open my palm and cursed under my breath.

"Summer,what happened?" Nicole asked walking over.

"I cut open my palm. I don't think it's deep,though." I said shaking my hand.

"Ok,as long as it isn't deep,we can just clean it up when we get back to that house." She said before taking my backpack and pulling out the sheet.

I watched her as she laid it out and put all of the food we brought on it.

I moved onto the sheet and picked up a sandwhich and began eating it,remaining silent as I thought of what to do. Maybe we could go down the other path tomorrow,or maybe we would have time today.

"Listen,Summer. I'm heading back. I don't feel every good,I think the heat is getting to me." Nicole said before packing up her bag and began climbing down.

   I sat in silence, allowing the breeze to cool me off when I heard a scream.

   "Nicole!" I shouted running to the end of the high rock.

    I looked down to see her small body laying on a flat rock,cuts and scrapes on her arms and face. I put a hand over my mouth before I ran back and got my bag,leaving the food and sheet behind before beginning the climb down. The rocks dug into my skin, causing tiny cuts to lace against the palm of my hand, tiny droplets of blood running down my hands and arm.

    Finally I made it to Nicole and I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw she was still breathing. There were deep cuts on her face,some on her arms, and some on her legs.

   "Oh my god,Nicole!" I screamed tears threatening to spill down my face.

   She shuddered,but her eyes remained closed,and I had a mini panic attack. It was probably 2 in the afternoon,and it was going to take forever to get us both back home. I opened her backpack and rummaged around and almost screamed with happiness when I found a rope. I looked around and tied it to a rock and made sure it was tight enough, before picking Nicole up under the shoulders and grabbed onto the rope.

         I held onto the rope with one hand,and Nicole with my other and began easing my way slowly down the rocks. I let out a string of curse words as I cut my knee on a sharp rock. My palm was starting to throb with pain and I finally made it to the bottom and collapsed in pain. What were the man and woman going to think when we got home?

    The ground felt cool on my sticky skin and I laid there until I forced myself to get up and picked up Nicole again,my arms aching and began dragging her back to the stupid house. Why couldn't we just get a break?
-----

    At the house, I grabbed the first aid kit and ran back to Nicole's room. She was awake,but in a lot of pain. I sat next to her on the bed and began cleaning her wounds when the door downstairs slammed close. A bad feeling erupted in my stomach and I looked at Nicole.

  "Just stay here." I muttered before walking out and closing her door softly.

   I walked downstairs slowly and froze when I saw the man standing downstairs calmly. Almost too calm.

  "Hello, Autumn." He sneered softly.
----
Hi guys!!

   This book has reached over 90+ reads!! I never thought I would get past 1 read! Thank you all so much for reading this book!

   Ok, so thoughts? I made sure to make this one longer than the last chapter,so the next one may be the usual amount.

  Well I have to go now sadly.

  I'll try to update during the week,but again I have like 3 tests next week. So much fun! Just no. Oh,and sorry if this chapter is really messy.

  Bye guys!

:)

-Xxstars_moonxX