Chapter Ten: Friendship

~Vanoss POV~

"Victoria I don't have time for this and don't call me Evan," I yelled at her before storming out of the kitchen to the door. I shoved my heavy boots and opened the door.

"Wait you forgot your coffee," yelled Vitoria. I slammed the door and stormed over to the mines. Normally Wildcat would join me on the walk to our job but he had a rock crush his ankle. So I angrily walked to the mines alone. Finally there I was greeted by the squeaker Lui.

"Vanoss did you bring my Cheerios," he squeaked. I chuckled and shook my head no. "You hear that Dathi he didn't bring me my Cheerios," he whined.

"Wha Vanoss why didn't you bring his Cheerios," said the Irish man as he put on his hard hat.

"Well I brought gummy worms instead." I chirped.

"You're the best Evan," they said in unison.

"I'm going to punch in, see you two in a few minutes," I said before walking into the dull concrete building. I pushed the metal doors open to reveal machines and people working in harmony.

"Hey Vanoss," yelled Mini with a wave. I waved back and smiled and walked over to the time clock and punched in. Thoughts of what happened this morning plagued my mind. I felt a soft tap on my shoulder and I spun around to see Mini.

"H-how did you get here so fast," I questioned him with a stutter.

"If you stopped daydreaming and getting lost in your thoughts I would still be almost halfway from you."

"Oh sorry it's just that Victoria finally talked to my sister."

"And?"

"I stormed out," I said as guilt began to eat away at me.

"Vanoss you and everyone here know what is happening just a few miles from us."

"I know..."

"Do you want the rest of the day off cause if you're that distracted I don't want you down there and another accident to happen," he said with sadness.

"I will be fine and don't worry about Wildcat your there helping him with that ankle of his," I said and added a pat on the back.

"Thanks Vanoss," he said with high spirits. I nodded and walked out of the factory. I put on my hard hat and grabbed a shiny silver pickaxe. I followed the echoing voices of the people and finally caught up with the herd of people.

"Evan we're over here," said Dathi with his arms flailing around.

"Where could everyone be," I said with a laugh. I walked over and was greeted by Lui and Dathi. After walking for a bit we arrived at the elevators and they both continued walking but I went down below with other people. We squished together and went down into cold mine. I shivered slightly and breathed out a warm breathe. I watched the white puff of my hot breathe dissipate into nothing.

"Vanoss and Sarah go down to the left and me and Cody will go to the opposite direction," Scotty, this group leader, commanded. Ding. The doors squeaked open and we took off to our directions. As the day dragged on with each swing of the pickaxe until the whistle blew to signal us it was lunch time. Sarah decided to linger a little bit longer. I sighed with annoyance because I wanted to eat and it was against the rules to leave a living person behind.

"Sarah come on," I huffed.

"Just one more minute," she snapped.

"We can come right back after lunch."

"Fine." She swung her pickaxe into the wall and the tunnel began to shake.

"What's happening," Sarah yelled.

"I don't know let's go," I screamed at her. We stumbled to the elevator as the ground shook us to the cold rock floor.

"Vanoss my leg it won't move," Sarah screamed. I picked her up and carried her almost falling twice. Ceiling began to fall apart and smash onto the ground. I dodged the new obstacles forming with ease until more rocks piled up making it almost impossible to pass through.

"Sarah only one of us is going to make it," I said as I saw the elevator flash of lights.

"Vanoss go ahead I've lived a great life," she said calmly as tears began to form.

"I'm sorry Sarah but you've got a brighter future than me," I said before I set her down. She yelped in pain and held onto my arm lifting her hurt foot up.

"Vanoss I can't do this," she said quickly.

"Just hold onto to the wall and take the elevator up," I said calmly. Guiding her to the small hole only big enough for her. She looked back at me with a frown and I gave her a weak smile.

"I promise I'll come back for you," she said squeezing through the hole. I only nodded and watched her stumble and fall until she reached the elevator.

"Goodbye Sarah," I whispered as the elevator doors creaked close and went up. I felt my eyes getting heavy and I leaned against the new wall of rocks. I tried to fight sleep but soon I was surrounded by darkness and the past five years began to flash by.