Chapter 15

Grayson flew as fast as he could, rage burning deep within his core. His father had killed his mother, had the nerve to lie to him and Viscose about it, and was now endangering innocent lives. Columbiana, on the other wing, had torn Maris' family apart and probably did the same to others. And Veri was a stone cold murderer who had killed two owls and victimized one of their chicks, while fraking off another at the same time. Learning that from Estrella-and seeing Veri's daughter, of all owl-shifters, rescued by Clark after having been abandoned by her own mother-was the final straw.

It wasn't long before he found Ruther, who, at the moment, was torturing some poor owl-shifter with none other than Benny. Upon closer examination, the fires of his rage were stoked yet again, and he dove, poised for attack.

Ruther and Benny's victim, the tortured owl-shifter, was Tori.

*****

"Where is Grayson, Victoria? Where is he?" Ruther's voice boomed across the cave they were in. Ruther and Benny found it during the battle and used it as refuge until they found the terrified Tori shaking and whimpering behind them. At that point, all they cared about was finding Grayson and making him-and the other perpetrators-suffer.

Before Tori could answer, her and Ruther felt a gust of air awash them before hearing a surprised squawk, a gurgled cry, and then silence as Ruther turned around to face the sight before him.

There lay Benny dead on the cave floor. Blood poured out from his chest, and his face was pale and conveyed a sense of horror and fear. Standing beside him, puffing out short breaths, was Grayson, his brown eyes gleaming with anger. "You wanted me, Da." Grayson said, almost snarling. "I'm here now. So why torture an innocent to find me?"

Within moments, the rage in Ruther's eyes was identical to Grayson's, and he stepped toward the younger owl-shifter, the now forgotten Tori trembling behind them. "Hello again, Grayson." Ruther spat. "I see you have become a little less pathetic than you were the last time I saw you." He then examined Grayson, seeming slightly impressed, before adding, "Looks like you've finally learned to harness the true power of rage. So why are you wasting your time here, with these weaklings, when you could be back in Northumbry where you belong? You are, after all, my eldest son and erego, the heir to the throne. Come back home, Grayson, and take your place alongside me."

"Oh, so now you address me as your son?" Grayson replied in disbelief. "The last time we saw each other, you wanted nothing to do with me. Besides," he added, "why would I want to rule alongside a coward and a murderer?" "So you found out what really happened to your mum?" Ruther sighed. "She knew too much, I'm afraid. What choice did we have?"

Upon hearing this, any semblance of mercy Grayson had for his father vanished as he charged straight for Ruther, eyes gleaming with hurt and anger. Ruther himself met Grayson's charge with one of equal ferocity and precision and the two owl-shifters fought with a burning passion. Talons scraped at feathered bodies, beaks bit at wings, and before long, it became hard to make out who was attacking who. Columbiana, for her part, watched as her mate struggled with the son who had opposed him for so long, while holding back Tori, who clawed and kicked endlessly at her mother in attempts to escape.

What happened next was forever a subject of debate in Fogo. All anyone can agree on was that a blur the colour of fire had appeared out of nowhere and descended rapidly towards the fighting pair. Then there was the sound of a branch snapping, then a screech, followed by a gurgled gasp, then silence and stares from everyone watching as Ruther's lifeless body fell to the ground below. Columbiana, shocked and horrified, let go of Tori, causing the latter to fall slightly forward before regaining her footing. Shortly afterwards, an arrow whizzed through Columbiana's heart, and she too joined her mate in death.

Nobody, not even Grayson, truly knows what happened or why. All they know was that, when all was said and done, Coella Fiores killed Ruther McHoff.

*****

For the second time in her life, Coella was shivering and surrounded by strange owl-shifters while sipping sparrow soup. This time, however, the circumstances were different. During the battle, she had discovered Kent's dying body. In an attempt to save him, she grabbed some cobwebs from a nearby tree and began wrapping them around his wounds, but he had stopped her, telling her the truth behind his previous actions and asking her forgiveness. Without hesitation, Coella had granted his wish, and Kent died peacefully in her arms. It was after this that Coella found a branch on the ground nearby, followed Grayson's feathers to the cave where Grayson battled his father, and dashed toward the pair, shoving the branch into Ruther's chest. Now she was here, traumatized and in pure disbelief of what she had just done.

"I cannot believe that Ruther got killed by a little branch!" Milana exclaimed. "I would've thought for sure that he would've flew off when he had the chance." "He was too focused on killing his son." Estrella reasoned. "What a featherbrain."

"None of you understand, do you?" Maris replied. "The branch didn't kill him." This statement earned confused looks from everyone in the room, so Maris continued. "Think about it." She explained. "Ruther was born with a black heart, and it was his hate that brought him to his throne. Hate and fear fed him, and Grayson's courage weakened him, but it was love that killed Ruther McHoff." She then smiled slightly before adding, "Coella's love, to be precise."

At this, a shiver went down Grayson's spine, and he looked towards Coella, whose eyes soon met his. No words needed to be spoken. They both simply knew.

There are no such things as accidents.