Chapter 14

Estrella flew as fast as she could-faster than some of the other guardians. She scanned the skies, the trees, even the ground, in the desperate hope that she might see a sign of her beloved sister, that she would still be alive. Sure enough, about four minutes into her search, she found Clark trembling near an old cedar tree. "Clara Esmerelda Espalandes!" Estrella huffed. "What were you..."

"Northumbrians..." Clark wheezed out, still excited from the events previous. "Soldier... resistance... Phoenix... Grayson..." "Wait, what?" Estrella asked in shock. Clark took a deep breath in before answering, "Maris and a bunch of owl-shifters have formed something called the Phoenix Brigade, and they are now going to face the Northumbrians head on, and Grayson is their leader!"

Upon hearing this, Estrella told her sister to stay put before heading off to find them, hoping that it wasn't too late.

*****

"Everyone ready..." Ruther commanded towards the three owl-shifters holding catapults filled with coals. Just as he was about to give the command, however, a bright orange speck whizzed past him and knocked a soldier dead. Upon closer examination, one could see that an arrow had pierced his heart.

"That was for my mother!" A female voice shouted. Another flaming arrow whizzed past, hitting another soldier. Both him and the previous were in charge of the catapults. "That was for my father!" The voice shouted again. This time, however, Ruther could discern the shape of the archer.

"And this," boomed the voice, "is for the owl-shifters of Caccia - and my Auntie Banshi!" At this, the last arrow whizzed past them and hit one of the catapults, sending it crashing to the ground in flames. And standing there, with a bow in one hand, a quiver on her back, and a satisfied smile on her face, was Liv.

There was no time to lose. Within moments, a single cry filled the air: "CHAAAAARGE!" And issuing the cry, in his bright copper helmet, was Grayson.

*****

The Phoenix Brigade wasted no time. The minute they heard Grayson's battle cry, they launched themselves towards the Northumbrian army, each faction with their respective leaders. Adonia and Viscose's factions focused primarily on fighting them off, while Monica's faction, Liv included, stopped their victims dead in their tracks with their arrows. Coella's faction, on the other wing, dropped hot coals and torches amongst the Northumbrian ranks, causing many to flee.

For Milana, the rest of the battle became a bit of a blur. All she knew was that one minute, she and Veri were awaiting Ruther's orders, and the next, she was chasing some poor rebel through the now burning forest. All of a sudden, one of the burning trees fell down, and one of Milana's wings was pinned down under a branch. The rebel, meanwhile, took the opportunity and escaped Veri's now helpless daughter.

"Help!" Milana yelped. "Somebody, please! Veri, help me!" But nobody came to her aid. Feeling abandoned by the owl-shifters she worked so hard to join, Milana waited sadly for another tree to fall upon her, ending her life. Instead, she felt the branch pinning her down being pulled away by the tree and looked up to find Clark throwing the branch away from her.

"Hurry!" Clark choked out. "We have to get out of here before they kill us!" The smoke and flames were building higher and higher, and both owl-shifters were starting to choke. Clark, however, was getting the most severe of it, and Milana sensed that she would need to get both of them out of it. So just as Clark was about to collapse, Milana gently scooped her into her talons and carried her out of the fire and towards the camp of the rebels. She knew now what she had to do.

*****

Beneath the roots of Maris' tree, Maris and a few others tended to the wounded. "How is everyone so far?" Grayson asked; him and Estrella had come in to check on the injured. "No fatalities so far, old friends." Maris replied. "But many wounded and injured."

Within moments, Milana came in through a small entrance, carrying Clark in her arms. Estrella, panicked, rushed over towards Clark. "Estrella?" Clark croaked . "Did I do good?"

"More than good." Milana replied. She then turned towards the others and told them. "This owl-shifter risked her life to save mine when no one else would. For that, I have come here to join your ranks and submit myself to your authority." She then handed Clark gently to Estrella, who simply stood there in amazement, before bowing down in front of Grayson and Maris. It was then that Maris noticed the gash in Milana's arm, and the minute Milana stood up, Maris led her straight to a cot, with no protest from Milana whatsoever.

Grayson, on the other wing, flew out of the healing area and back into the fray. He had a Da to find... and a personal score to settle.