Chapter 2

"Welcome back students!" Mr. Connors said. "As you all know this is your homeroom class. I am Mr. Connors, I will be your global teacher this year."

Great. I thought as I looked at Jason's schedule. I am stuck with the devil.

"Ms. White? Would you like to explain why you seem to be glaring at Jason's schedule? Because that would be a very interesting story, wouldn't it?" Mr. Connors said.

"No thank you sir." I said, quietly. My face was probably bright red.

A couple kids started laughing at me, and that didn't upset me. Now the smirk on Jason's face was another story. I so badly wanted to smack it right off. The problem was that I couldn't.

I was hoping and praying the bell would ring soon, so I could get out of the dreaded classroom. The fates seemed to be on my side today, and the bell rang loud and clear.

I ran out that classroom as fast as I could. To bad I ran right into Maddie. Just my luck!

"Oh, didn't see you there! Then again I try not to see you anywhere!" Maddie said.

The hallway went silent. Mainly because Maddie was talking. Then again she wasn't really talking, it was more like screeching.

But somehow, I got this burst of courage.

"Maddie you do realize that was possibly one of the stupidest things that has ever come out of your mouth. And trust me when I say, almost everything you say is stupid." I retorted.

Everyone laughed at that, which was good.

Now trust me when I say that I love this new courage. But I hated what happened because of it. I saw Maddie's hand start coming towards my face, what I didn't expect was that I would grab it. So I guess I'm full of surprises. I grabbed her hand out of the air, and twisted it backwards.

"GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF ME!" She yelled, as loud as she could.

The hallway went silent again.

"Now if I were you, I would think about your actions. Before you do it, because that was stupid. Even for you!" I said.

She then stormed away, her minions following her like lost puppies.

I was still surprised by my actions, but proud at the same time.

To make my day even better, I had math next! The math teacher, Mrs. Wheeler, was an angel to me. She has always made sure that I could stay in college courses, as well as tutoring.

I basically skipped to math. So happy to see Mrs. Wheeler after the break.

As I walked into her classroom, I noticed I was the first one there.

"Mrs. Wheeler! I've missed you so much!" I said, happily.

"Liz is that you!" She said, her voice as happy as mine. "My! You've grown so much!"

"Why thank you." I said, in a posh voice.

"You are very welcome my dear." She said, in the same voice. "Oh Liz, I already have a request for tutoring!"

"Okay! What days?" I asked, very excitedly.

"Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. From 5:15-6:30." She replied.

"I can do that." I said. "But who am I tutoring?"

"His name is Jason Taylor." She said.

And with that I nearly had a heart attack.

I was tutoring him.

The devil.

My worst nightmare!

"Oh, and because today is a Tuesday. You will be starting today! Isn't that fantastic!" She said, her voice full of excitement.

And in that moment I realized that I had to do it. For Mrs. Wheeler at least. Not for me. But for her, and sadly also Jason.

I couldn't think straight the rest of the day. Even in art! Which is usually where I tune out everything. I knew something was wrong, and I knew exactly what.

Jason.

He is what is wrong! It's him and this tutoring thing! Why did I agree to this!

I couldn't do this! I had to, but deep down I knew I couldn't.

He won't take it seriously, and then what? I get in trouble for not "helping", even though I was doing it right!

While I drove home, I freaked out. While I made dinner, I freaked out. While I did my homework, I freaked out. No matter what I was doing I was freaking out.

I don't even know why!

He could take this seriously, I hope he does. I really don't want to waste my time if he won't put in the effort.

And that is when I decided, I had to do it. There was no other choice. I couldn't let Mrs. Wheeler down. I refuse to let myself down. And I don't care if I let Jason down. That sounds bad, but it's true.

So at 5:05, I hopped in my car, and drove to the library. The library is always where I hold the first 2 or 3 sessions. If they want to continue the sessions, I let them choose. My house, their house, or the library.

I got to the library at 5:12, and rushed in.

Seeing Jason at a table, I walked over. He had math books surrounding him, and looked like he was trying to concentrate.

"See," I said to myself. "He is trying." I said it in such a quiet voice, that he didn't seem to notice.

"Hey Jason." I said, loud enough for him to hear me.

"Oh, hey Liz." He said, while rubbing the back of his neck.

"Ready to start?" I asked.

"Is no a valid answer?" He asked, in a joking tone.

"I'm gonna say no on that, only because we have an hour and fifteen minutes." I said.

I could tell he was nervous. He was rubbing his neck, biting his lip, and playing with his fingers. I didn't understand why though.

Why would he be nervous around me? No one is ever nervous around me. Then again I don't talk to many people, and no one knows me well enough to be nervous.

All I know is that I was ready for this to be over, and it hasn't even begun.