Chapter 4

As the darkness cleared, I woke up. Only to find out it was already the next day.

I looked around everywhere to find my phone, since the alarm did not go off.

When I found it the time read 12:46. Oh no, I thought, I'm hours late to school, and it's only the second day!

I ran downstairs to find my dad, but was left with a note instead.

Liz,

When you read this, please remember not to go to school. You have a minor concussion from hitting your head, but to take precautions please don't go to school. You will most likely be getting headaches, if needed please take tylenol. Remember what I told you yesterday? Well I've already hired two lawyers, and I refuse to give up.

Love, Dad.

I felt sick, just thinking about how my mother wants custody.

Why would she want to take me from my father? She didn't care when she was here! That and her boyfriend is scary. Would I have to live with him to? Of course I would, they live together!

All the thoughts running through my head gave me a headache. So I grabbed the tylenol, and went to sleep.

I woke up again, but this time I woke up full of worry. Not only did I miss school, but my "mother" wants custody of me. I grabbed my phone, and saw that this time it was 4:21. So I went downstairs to start getting dinner.

I was stopped when the doorbell rung though.

When I got to the door, I noticed a boy in a football jacket. Opening the door to see the devil himself.

"What do you want Jason?" I asked, rudely.

"I just came to bring you your stuff, and ask if you're okay." He said, while rubbing the back of his neck.

"Well I am. Thanks for the homework!" I said, about to close the door. He stopped it with his foot before I could though.

"Can I please come in?" He asked. "I have a question. Please?"

"You have five minutes. That is it, got it?" I said.

"Yeah! Thank you!" He said, rushing in.

"Your question?" I asked.

"Oh that. Right." He said, rubbing his neck yet again. "I was wondering if you wanted to come to my game next week, instead of a tutoring session?" He asked.

"Uh, sure? I guess that'd be okay." I said.

"Really!" He said, very excited. "That'd be cool, I guess." He then said, trying to sound cool.

"Okay, is that all?" I asked.

"Yeah, I think so." He said.

"Bye then!" I said, pushing him out the door.

"Bye Liz!" He called out, before stepping into his car.

I then went to finish making my dinner. During that time, I thought over the promise I made him. Should I really go to that game? Would it be worth it? Almost the whole school goes, so it would give me time to interact with people.

"I might as well give it a try." I whispered. "Or at least sleep on it."

When my father got home, the first thing he did was give me a hug. You could obviously tell he was taking my "mom" situation very seriously. He was tense, tired, and acting weird.

"Honey. I have bad news." He started. "Your mom AND her boyfriend are doing everything to get custody. And not joint custody. It is full custody." He finished, tears not only in his eyes, but streaming down his face. "I promise you they will not win. They can't win. They will not take my baby girl away." He said, strongly.

"I know daddy, I know." I said, tears streaming down my face as well.