Chapter Three

I wake up as the plane rumbles a little bit.

"Please fasten your seatbelt as we prepare for landing," the flight attendant tell us.

I click my seatbelt into place and give the old woman her blanket back.

"Thank you very much," I say. "It's been kind of a hard night."

"I get it," the lady says with a sympathetic smile.

A half an hour later I get off the plane. It was a straight through flight to New York, and I can not believe I'm really here to follow my dream. I haven't been excited for this since I left but I start to get excited as I roam the airport.

I struggle to find my apartment but once I do, I'm completely astonished. There was a decent sized living room with warm brown walls and a kitchen with stainless steel appliances. The master bedroom was pretty spacious with cozy cream walls. Off of the bedroom is small, baby blue bathroom and there's guest room that's just painted white.

I loved it. New York is a good decision. For me. For my education.

Although I didn't have very much, I started unpacking. The rooms were sparsely furnished: there's a brown couch in the living room and a little round table with two chairs in the kitchen. The master bedroom has a bed frame and mattress but no sheets or anything like that. But it was enough for me.

I walk down the streets of New York City. It is so beautiful here. I haven't been in this city for even a day and I'm already in love with it.

When I get back to my hotel, there are white roses sitting outside my apartment door. It has a note attached to it and I pick them up to read it.

"Welcome to New York, Amy!"

I took a deep sigh. As soon as he heard the wedding was canceled he must've took the next flight out. I'd kept that stupid e-journal that didn't mean anything. In that story Ben was the old Ben, I was the old me, and my parents were still together. I just wanted to feel normal, and Ben didn't understand . I don't have feeling feelings for him.

I just hung out in my apartment for a little while. Eventually some more furniture would be necessary, but all I wanted to do now was lay down and sleep. I settle down on the cozy couch and fall asleep. A knock on the door wakes me up a few hours later.

I opened it and, not to my surprise, Ben was there.

"Hi Ben," I say with exasperation

"Hey Amy. I um heard about you and Ricky. Too bad."

Ugh. I'd forgotten how obnoxious and annoying Ben could be.

"Ben, that really isn't any of your business."

"I won't talk about it anymore. Promise. You want to go to the administration office to get our schedules?"

I wasn't sure. Ben really did seem like he wouldn't talk about Ricky anymore. I decided it wouldn't hurt just to go get our schedules. I was going to have to do that anyway.

"Fine."