Chapter Seventeen

"Wait, really?!" Grace screeches.

"Yeah, pretty sure," I say, breathing out through my mouth.

"I'll drive you! Let's go, I'll get John in the car."

I walk out as Grace is buckling the seatbelt across him and his booster. I get into the car, not without difficulty.

While Grace is driving she keeps chattering on. She's worried I'll have my baby in the car.

"Grace, I won't, labor can last," I grunt in pain. "For hours. Sometimes days."

"Right, right," she replies calming down.

"Mommy, what's going on?" John asks. I'd nearly forgotten he was even here.

"Your mommy's going to be having her baby. You're going to be having a little brother or sister? Won't that be exciting?" Grace responds for me.

Someday if Grace had kids, she'd be a excellent mother. I just knew it.

"Okay," she puts the car into park. "We're here. Can you walk? Or do you need like a wheelchair or something?"

"I-I think I'm okay. To walk, I mean."

I remember almost five years ago, rushing to the hospital during my baby shower. The pain was so great. I remember it clearly, but it was also hazy in a way. Hopefully I got through the door before the real pain set in.

Grace led me in and walked quickly over to the nurse in the emergency room.

"M'am?" She interrupted politely. "My friend here is having some contractions."

The nurse doesn't look too surprised. I guess that happens pretty often here.

They put me into a wheelchair and take me to one of the rooms. A doctor is there almost immediately.

"Hello, Amy, how are you?"

"Uhh, good, good."

"That's great! I need to do a quick little ultrasound to see which way you're baby is flipped.

She rubs the cool gel on my stomach. I was used to it by now.

"Heads down, perfect," she says, handing me a paper towel to wipe the gel off.

"So...?" I ask.

"Well," she answers, clapping her hands together. "You're baby is a little early. But he or she looks pretty good in the ultra sound. It'll be a while. We'll be moving you to a room and you can call any friends and family."

"Okay." I almost forgot about my friends. My family. Mom, Dad.

Ricky.

I get settled and Grace comes in with John. They tell me they're going to hang out in the waiting room, where they have some toys.

First, I call my mom. She answers almost immediately.

"Hey, Amy, what's up?"

"Ummm... I'm at he hospital. I'm going into labor."

I hear her gasp on the other end of the line.

"Amy! You should've told me sooner! Who's with you? Do you have John? I coming right now! Be there as soon as I can."

"Kay. Hurry."

"I will. Bye Amy."

"Bye."

I don't call my dad. I don't call Ashley. I don't even talk to them. My own father and sister.

So I guess, all that leaves, is Ricky.

It rings. And rings. And rings.

No answer.

I sigh, and put it away. I know I should leave a voicemail but this is all too real. Soon, I would have a living, breathing son or daughter in my hands.

And then all of the sudden, I get a painful contraction. My back arches and a whimper a little. I press the nurse button.

"M'am?" The lady asks coming in. "You buzzed for me?"

"Yes," I say through the pain. "They're getting a lot more-ahh- painful."

"First time?" She asked. I looked down and shook my head.

"So you know what to expect," she replied. "That's good."

I was expecting more judgement, like I'd been getting for the past 5 months. But she seemed sincere. It was nice.

"Well I'll just page Dr. Shepherd and Dr. Stevens and they'll be with you soon."

"Okay."

Just a few minutes later, a pretty blonde girl walked in. "Hi Amy," she tells me. "I'm just gonna take a look at your chart."

"Nineteen years old, second child, 8 months and 10 days pregnant.I can give you the epidural now."

"Oh, thank God," I say. "This was getting really painful."

"I know. And I'm sorry. Hopefully we can get you to start pushing soon. Okay?"

"Mmm...hmmm."

Awhile later, my mom arrives. "Amy! Where's Ricky? Where's George? I saw Grace out there with John and-"

I laugh a little. "Mom calm down. George won't be here. I'm not letting him be here. And Ricky wasn't answering his phone."

"But, Amy, Ricky, he needs to be here."

"I'm sure he will," I say. But I'm not quite sure he will.

Not long after, I screech out in pain.

"You're going to have to start pushing now Amy," Dr. Shepherd tell me. Of course, then my phone rings. My mom picks up.

"Ricky!" I hear her yell. "The baby is coming you need to be here now!" She hangs up.

"He's on his way," she soothes me reassuringly.

And with that, I start to push.

The next hour of my life was pure hell.

"Amy! One last push!"

But, then Ricky comes in. Strands of hair are plastered to his forehead with sweat, like he was running here. His eyes are wide and scared. His body visibly relaxes when he sees that he's not too late.

"You're here," I croak out.

"Yes," he says, walking up to me and taking my hand. "I'm here."

Dr. Shepherd looks between the two of us. "Sorry to interrupt, but, you need to push. Okay?"

I nod. "Okay."

"On the count of three, one, two, three. Push!"

With all my might, I push. And I scream. It's so painful, I feel like I'm going to pass out. I squeeze my eyes shut and a grip Ricky's hand.

And then I hear a cry.

"Congratulations," she tells us. "You have a baby girl."