Chapter Nine

*Two weeks later*

I look up at myself in the mirror at the hair dresser.

"Look down please, miss," the hairdresser tells me. I blush a little and look back down.

I'd decided that I needed to get my hair cut or I was never going to be bold enough to do it. I was donating it (12 inches!) and it was getting cut off to right at my shoulder.

I'd decided not to dye my hair because I certainly wouldn't have enough time to keep up with it once the baby comes. I'd been the thinking about the baby a lot.

I was almost 10 weeks now and I got an update on my phone saying that my baby was the size of a kumquat, which I'd never even had so I didn't know how big that was.

But what I did know is that I had a bump. No one could notice it yet, it was too small. Just me. A little swollen bump with a beautiful baby in it. I was going to love this baby. I just didn't know how it would all work out.

I was still having TERRIBLE morning sickness. It sometimes lasted until three pm. Much worse than it ever was with John. Angie feels so bad for me. I don't know what I would do without her.

Ben was being impossible. I could tell he was trying to win me back. I thought we actually might able to be friends when we first came here. I guess I was wrong. But he still didn't know I was pregnant, so the news must not be out yet back home, which is good.

Evan had texted me three days ago and told me he was sorry and that the news just really shocked him. I could understand that. We were having lunch today in my apartment. I didn't feel like going anywhere else.

"You're all done," the hairdresser tells me and snaps me out of my pondering.

I look up and I really like it. She did some layers, no bangs, and I liked the length. It was cute. I checked out and gave her a good tip for the nice job.

The word job reminded me of my job. I'd gotten a job at my favorite coffee place. I'd applied before I'd known that I was pregnant. They probably wouldn't employee me if they knew I was. I really liked it, so for now I just won't tell them. It won't be a secret forever.

I head back to my apartment. I was actually able to walk back, it was so close. The cool summer breeze feels good on my skin. I'm almost to my apartment complex when I hear someone whistle. I ignore it and keep walking, a little faster.

A guy steps in front of me. He flicks his eyes over my body and I feel terrified. He smiles, not a warm one. One that makes me want to shiver.

"Damn, babe, you look fine," he tells me.

I try to push past him. I can see my apartment complex. It's so close. I just need to get to it. No such luck.

"Baby, where do you think you're goin?"

My heart is pounding. I don't know what to do.

He grabs my ass and I gasp and with all my might, pull away. And then I slap him right across the face.

He looks shocked. And then he looks angry. I tense up as I know he's going to punch me when Evan flies in from nowhere. And punches him in the face. Really hard.

Blood starts gushing from his nose. It's probably broken. "Stay away from her," he growls and ushers me into my apartment and the water works start as soon as I'm in there.

"Shhh, shhhh," he whispers into my hair. "It's alright. You're safe. I'm so sorry." He picks me up and carries me over the couch. He plants a kiss on top of my forehead and I quiet down.

"Thank you so, so much," I blubber out. "You saved me."

"Amy, it's no problem. I'm sorry he-he touched you like that."

I could hear the anger when he spoke to me. Not at me, but at the man.

"I don't want to talk about it," I tell him in a small voice.

"You don't have to. You want to talk about us?"

I nod. That's why I wanted to see him in the first place.

"Look, I really really like you. I know you had a difficult past, but I know you could leave that behind you. But this, this is now. And I wanted to run and just never see you again. That's what I would've done with any other girl. But I'm so drawn to you. That sound so cheesy and cliche, but I mean it. Even though you're pregnant, I think we can still... see each other."

I'm tearing up again, this time with joy. Most guys would've turned around and ran the other way. But he was staying. Evan was definitely a keeper.

I threw my arms around him and gave him the biggest hug I think I'd ever given someone. In this moment, I felt so lucky.

"That is the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me." He blushes a little. It makes him look super cute.

"Your hair," he says, just realizing it now, with his lips parted in surprise. "It's so short!"

"You don't like it?" I ask nervously.

"No! No, I love it. I just didn't know you were getting it cut."

"I just decided to today. It was getting really long."

"Well you look beautiful." Now it was my turn to blush. I look up at him for underneath my eyelashes and we start kissing. I pull his shirt off. And he pulls off mine.

"No farther than this," I warn him. I don't want him to get any ideas.

"Okay," he responds, in between kisses.

Just then, the apartment door swings open. Of course, there's Ben just standing there. I jump up, so does Evan.

"Oh my god, Ben, haven't you ever heard of knocking?!?" I scream at him.

Evan steps in front of me to obscure me from Ben's view as I slip on my shirt. He gets on his. This is so embarrassing. I can't believe we forgot to lock the door.

"What the hell are you doing Amy? You're pregnant!"

So I guess the word got out back home.

Great