Chapter Thirteen

"Before I can make this the best two days of my life," I tell Angie. "I have to tell Evan."

She has a sharp intake of breath. "Ooo, good luck."

"Thanks. I'll need it," I tell her as a grab my purse and head out the door. "You stay here. I'll be back soon."

I go over to Evan's dorm. I'd been there once before, and I hope I have the room number right. If he's even home.

Inhale. Exhale.

I knock.

I hear someone get up off their bed and heavy footsteps coming towards the door. The door cracks open to reveal a muscular guy with sandy hair and blue eyes.

"Hey, I'm looking for Evan. Is he here?"

"Uhhh yeah. You Amy?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, you can come in then." He opens the door all the way and gestures for me to come in.

"Hey, Amy, what are you doing here?" Evan asks with surprise in his voice.

"Ummmm...." I look over towards the other guy. I don't want to say anything while he's in here.

He finally takes the hint and comes to life. "Oh, yeah... I'll just go grab, lunch or something, yeah I'll just be going," he says as he stumbles awkwardly over a bag on his way out.

"Sorry about that," Evan says with a laugh. "That's Bryce. He's pretty shy."

"I see." I laugh back.

"So, what did you want to tell me?"

Something in my expression must have changed. Because then the look on his face gets much more serious.

"Did you cheat on me?"

"What?! No! No," I answer.

He sighs in relief.

"But, I do have something I need to tell you."

Here goes nothing.

"I'm moving back to California."

The look on his face is so heart breaking. So shocked. So sad.

"You're leaving me? Why?" He asks with hurt in his voice. Then I see anger. "For that other guy? Ricky?"

"No! Not for that other guy. I can't afford to raise my child here. I can have a job at the nursery back home. I just don't have enough time to get a degree right now. I have the support of my family back home."

"So we can have, like a long distance relationship right? Like skyping and texting and stuff. We can do that?" He asks hopefully.

"Evan, it's not fair for you to be tied down to some girl with a son who's about to have another baby with a different guy. You're young and you need to have fun. You don't deserve this life. I need a fresh start. I need to focus on my kids."

There's lots of silence. The silence seems eternal. I think he's taking this way harder than I thought he would. He has a tough, cocky façade, but he really was very sensitive.

"I understand. I don't want you to go. I really like you Amy. Because I like you so much, I'll let you go."

"Thank you. Thank you for understanding. This is hard enough as it is."

"I have one last request."

"Hmmm?" I ask.

"Kiss me," he says.

I look straight into eyes, lean in, and press my lips against his, and run my hands through his hair. After a couple of seconds, we pull away.

"Thanks," he says.