Chapter Fourteen

After a stressful plane ride, lay-over, and yet another plane ride I'm home. My mom is there waiting for me.

I walk towards her, more quickly than before, and engulf her in a hug.

"Oh, Amy," she whispers into my hair.

"I'm so sorry Mom." Tears are rolling down my cheeks. I've been crying so much lately. I was tired of crying. I was tired of all of this.

"I know. I know," she whispers back. Finally, I pull away.

"Your hair!"

I almost forgot that I cut it.

"Yeah..."

"Did you tell Ricky you were coming back?"

I shake my head.

"George?"

I shake it again.

"I haven't sold the house yet. You can stay there. But people will find out soon enough. You know that right?"

I nod. If I talk, I might cry.

"Well, come on."

She leads me out of the airport and into her car. The ride is mostly silent, until I feel like I can talk without crying.

"I've missed you," I tell her.

"I've missed you too. How was New York?"

This got me a little bit excited.

"Oh, mom, it was amazing! The classes, being so independent, and it's so big! I met a few friends there. Angie...." I trail off. Thinking of her hurts.

"That's great honey," she says carefully, sensing that Angie is a sore subject. "I was thinking you could stay in our old house."

"I'd love that!" I exclaim.

When we get there, I realize just how much I missed it. It's hard to believe I had ever been able to leave.

I collapsed onto the couch in my childhood home. The childhood that had ended much too quickly.

"Amy, how far along are you?"

"3 and a 1/2 months," I answer, looking down.

"Have you been looking after yourself? Did you have a doctor in New York?"

"Yes, of course I did," I exasperatedly.

"Amy, I'm just worried about you."

"I know."

"You don't want to hear this, but you should call Ricky. You need to call Ricky. You two need to talk."

"Mom! I don't want to!" I say, pouting like a little kid.

"You have to! He deserves that! You went to New York and left him with your son, to raise all alone, while you had a summer of fun! And now you're back, with nothing to show? Not to mention you're pregnant with his kid! It's ridiculous! You're being childish and immature. I can't believe your having another baby! Seriously, what's wrong with you Amy?"

"Mom! Stop!" I scream. I'm angry. So angry.

She blinks. "Oh my god, Amy, I'm sorry. I exploded. It just slipped, I didn't mean it, I've just been so stressed-"

"Me too Mom! You think my life in New York was just a piece of cake. That I've been having a care free time, with no worries? You're wrong! All I've been doing is worrying about this baby and John!"

I'm not even sad. Just filled rage I didn't even know I had.

"Just get out mom. I don't even want to look at you," I tell her coldly.

She hangs her head in shame and leaves.

I'm tired of this. I'm tired of everyone thinking I'm some dumb 15 year old. I'm not. I was going to see Ricky and talk to him like a civilized adult.

I call him.

"Hello Ricky" I say over he phone.

"Hey? Amy? John's at the nursery right now. And I'm going to class and then I have work. What's up?"

"Can you take John to my dad's tonight. We need to talk."

"You're home?"

"Yes."

There's a pause.

"Sure, I guess"

"Okay, thanks"

"Bye"

"Bye"

Then he hangs up.

*the next day*

I wake up, still half asleep. Where am I at? I open my eyes a little bit, then roll over, to find myself next to Ricky, in my underwear, in his apartment and I suddenly remember everything.

So much for being a civilized adult.