Chapter 4

Leon went to get a coffee the next morning. It was cold outside and the streets were wet from a hard night's rain.

Leon saw Maria pass by the window.
That was strange as she didn't usually come around the city.
When she came in the coffee shop,she almost immediately spotted Leon.

Leon sunk in his chair like a turtle into its shell.
He was ready for a tongue lashing.
But did Maria really come all this way just to yell at him ?

"Hey." Said Maria " I'd like to talk to you...can I sit down ?"

"Depends...about what ?" Asked Leon.

Maria sat down across from Leon anyway, putting her bag on the floor and ensuring not to lose eye contact.

"I appreciate your concern for me...but Randal and I aren't dating."

"You broke up?" Asked Leon.

"The situation was complicated. He seemed like a nice guy...he was quiet... I had heard bad things about him but I didn't listen... Eventually we just started being around each other so much that people thought we were a couple." Said Maria.

Leon folded his arms, "Why are you telling me this?"

"Well you took a beating for me and you obviously seemed very concerned for my well being...I thought you at least deserved to know that I'm no longer in any danger."

"So you came all this way just to let me know that you and Randal aren't on speaking terms anymore ?"

"I just thought you should know...you are the one that gave me the push after all."

Maria got up and began to walk towards the door.

For a moment she and Leon shared a final look at each other. Then she walked back out the same way she came.