Chapter 8

I was afraid. I was afraid that Dawn was going to get herself killed just because she didn't want to marry me. Maybe she wouldn't mind too much if I hadn't been such a jerk to her. Knowing that, I had to do everything that I could possibly do to save her from herself. She was going to get herself hurt. And she knew that. It's all to get away from me. God, if anything happens to Dawn, my parents will kill me. I don't want to die. I'm way to young to die. It's not my time. At least, I hope it isn't.

Dawn's P.O.V

The next day at school, Jeremy acted like nothing had happened between us the other day. And I was completely fine with that. I honestly didn't mind. I was glad that he was back to ignoring me again. I wasn't too sure if I could deal with him talking to me anymore.

"Don't let him get to your head," Morgan said. "Don't do anything crazy."

I smiled at her. "We'll see about that."

*       *        *        *        *        *         *         *       *         *

Jeremy's P.O.V

It's been a week. One whole entire week that Dawn has been ignoring me. At home, I had tried reasoning with her and tried to become her friend. But she refused to acknowledge the fact that I was speaking to her. She was acting as if I didn't exist. It was killing me. By now, I knew for sure that I liked her. Every time one of my friends even glanced at her, I felt like punching them in the face. The way she's been acting only made me want her more than I already did.

I approached her again, knocking at her room door. Reaching for the handle, I saw that the door was ajar. I poked my head inside to see Dawn sitting on the bed with Jared. They were just conversing and laughing. Until I walked inside.

"What the hell, Jared?" I exclaimed.

Jared looked at me with a puzzled expression. "Is something wrong, Jeremy?"

"Fuck yeah! What the hell are you doing in my house? And in Dawn's room?" I asked, fuming.

"I thought you didn't give a shit about her, Jeremy. I do. I think she's wonderful and gorgeous. All you do is talk trash about her and looking down on her. That's all you ever do. But whenever one of us look at her, you act as if you're ready to kill us. What's your problem, man?" Jared asked, looking me into my eyes.

I trembled with anger, not knowing how to respond to his question. "I don't know, man. Just, just, leave. Please. I need time to think. And I don't want you here right now. Another time. Just not now."

Jared sighed and kissed Dawn on the cheek before leaving. I glanced at Dawn to find her glaring at me.

"Look, Dawn, I can explain," I began.

"I don't want to hear it, Jeremy. You can't ever let me be happy, can you? Jared's been nothing but a sweet guy ever since I started school with you all. And here you go! Telling him to leave. Taking away my happiness. Yet again. Well, congratulations, Jeremy. You've ruined my life. You're a prick. I hope that you're happy with yourself," she said. "Just get the fuck out of my room. Now."

I stared at her with wistfulness in my eyes. "Dawn, just let me talk. Please!"

"Out. Now," she growled. Dawn got up off of the bed and pushed me out of the door, slamming it shut.

Once I was outside in the hallway, I softly murmured, "I just wanted to say that I love you." After I had said that, I walked away, not waiting to see if she had heard me or not. I was betting on the fact that she hadn't heard me. It was too soft for her to hear.

Dawn's P.O.V

"I just wanted to say that I love you."

That was the soft murmur of Jeremy's voice. I stood behind my door with my back up against it, shocked. He loved me? That was a lie. If that was true, he sure had a funny way of showing it. That was still too bad for him because I didn't love him. I hated him. I didn't know what I was going to do about Jeremy.

He may love me, but I know for a fact that I will never love him. I just knew it. If I ever did---which wasn't a high possibility---then I'll be damned. I sighed and walked back over to my bed. I climbed on and lied on my stomach, resting my head on my arms. I closed my eyes and decided to take a short nap. I'd wake up later. Early enough for me to take a shower and prepare for the next school day.