04 | bubblegum

For the heart-broken ones,

"Don't worry, you may think you'll never get over it. But you also thought it would last forever."

- Taylor Swift

__________

CH 4

I plug my earphones into my ears as I walk to Layla's house. Soon, the awesome songs from one of The Pigeon Detective's albums, fills my head and makes me feel just so happy that I discovered this band.

According to many people my taste of music is just so different. I'm usually trying to find new people, new bands, and new music in general.

I walk up through Layla's front gate and knock on the door of her house. Layla's house is a bit bigger than mine. And a whole lot more fun. It has a hammock in the front yard, a beautiful balcony out of her room, and they even have a pool in the basement. Cool, right?

"Hey there, Fae," greets Vanessa. "You really don't have to knock, you know?"

"Duly noted," I say with a grin as I remove my earphones.

Vanessa's smile fades away in a few seconds. "You have to help Layla, Fae. She's so, I don't know... I can't describe the way she is, but it breaks me to see her that way."

I note the lines of worry that are etched onto her forehead. "Don't worry, Vanessa," I assure her.

I walk up the stairs to meet Layla, and bump into Jamie on the way. "Hey, kiddo!" I greet her.

She's suddenly shy of me, and hides behind the door of her playroom. Slowly her arm reaches out and she holds up a half eaten cookie. I laugh and take it from her.

I shove it in my mouth, whole and then chomp down. Mhmmm, Auntie Vanessa, makes the best butterscotch cookies.

Once I reach Layla's room, I push open her door, without even bothering to knock. I know this girl won't be mad at me, still. The longest feud we've ever had, hasn't even lasted a day.

There she is, lying on the bed like a hobo, with a bowl of some muck. There's Gone with the Wind, playing on the television, Taylor Swift's 'I knew you were trouble', playing in the background, and there's a stench in the air, proving that Layla hasn't even washed herself.

Her eyes and nose are red, probably from crying a lot, and her face is sticky with sweat, her hair rough and unkempt, and huge dark circles are under her eyes.

If this is the state, a person could be rendered to, after a breakup, then I was more than willing to get into a relationship with my cat. Cats don't hurt you. Ever.

I walk over to her and peel off her blanket. It's only then she recognises me "It took you long enough," she says with a scowl.

"We had school yesterday. I would have come other wise," I say "Now get off the bed."

"No wait. Tell me, what exactly did you do in school?" she asks, running the back of her hand across her eyes.

"I was busy getting my sweet revenge that I'd been holding on to for so long," I say inspecting my nails. "And get off the bed!"

She didn't get off the bed but just sat up straight. "Do you know, everyone's talking about you in Face Book, because of what you did? I'm not even kidding," she says.

I smirk. "Well, you should have seen what I did. You would have loved it."

Layla herself, is pretty good with her practical jokes. I mean, you could say it runs in the family.