17 | gum balls

For the seekers,

"The seeker always finds what he seeks simply because of constant attention and perseverance."

- Djinn.

__________

CH 17

Snippets of conversations. That's all that I can hear, and those are my only sources of information.

My eyes are too heavy to open and basically I'm just immobile. I can't speak or move my limbs; its almost as if I'm drugged real bad.

Leanna's voice was the first thing I heard. She was telling everyone else about which part of my head had been hurt, and I knew she was looking at the doctor's report, and that no one else could decipher it.

Because, yes Leanna is a nerd and she does know all these scientific terms, but she isn't one to use it in normal speech.

I've come to know that I've got five stitches on the side of my head, due to the large gash. And also that I'm suffering from a severe concussion.

Layla was a crying, slobbery mess from what I could make out. I really wanted to speak to her or just do something to show her that I'm fine, but I also love this transparency.

It's nice to know what others say around you when they think you can't hear them.

"She was my own aunt! I really don't know how she could have been so abusive! I mean Fae should have told me!" She cried hysterically, just yesterday, before the nurse threatened her to shut it, else she'd have to wait outside.

Lennox was very much sulky and not his usual type. He answered with short one word replies and not his usual mocking tone.

Talking about Phoebe, I couldn't even hear her, meaning my injury probably affected her that much. But from what information I could obtain, I came to know that she brought flowers everyday.

And that really touched my heart.

But one thing, probably the best thing, happened when Ian and Chase were in my room one afternoon.

My small cot, was sagging on one side, probably meaning that someone was sitting on it. Chase was just rambling on about how he was just outside my house, but he couldn't do anything to protect me.

While Ian was trying to comfort him, I realized that nothing Ian said, made Chase feel better. Suddenly I felt Chase's warm hand on the side of my face. He was brushing it with gentle strokes, telling me how sorry he was.

"Dude what are you doing?" Ian asked.

"I... Just look at her. She seems so peaceful. She always did, and she never told any of us about what was going on..." And then his voice breaks a little.

"It isn't your fault, man. She should have told you," Ian says and a huge wave of guilt drowns me. I should have but, I just didn't know how to.

"I know. She should have told me, but she fricking didn't," and this time it's unmistakable that he's crying. "I don't know if she even trusts me..."

His hand moves and they skim the part of my bandaged wound.

"Chase, what the hell are you doing?" Ian suddenly asks.

Chase doesn't reply and I'm wondering as to what he might me doing, when suddenly I feel his hot breath fanning my face. Immediately my chest constricts and I wonder if he noticed my slight intake of breath.