08 | peanut butter cups

For the liars,

"A liar must have a good memory."

- Quintillan

_______________

CH 8

"Ouch!" I exclaim as I take ahold of my Starbucks cup. This thing feels like someone liquefied the sun and poured it into the cup.

"It does tell you that the beverage is hot, mam," says a guy of about my age from behind the counter.

"I know, damnit, but this is too hot!" I reply and fish out my gloves from my handbag. Once I've got them on I pick up my cup of Hot Chocolate and step out.

As expected, Alyssa is late. I'm waiting near the ALX Theater, after I sent her a short text asking her to come here as the first destination of our project. It's been nearly a week since our encounter in the corridor. I was waiting to see if she would actually make a move and start talking about the project.

But then I decided to just swallow my pride and ask her myself. 'Cause honestly I don't think she even knows that her grades are important.

I take a sip of my hot chocolate and revel in the feeling of the liquid warming my throat. It's a very cold night and cold nights call for hot drinks.

"Hey!" I hear someone call out.

I look up to find Alyssa walking towards me. She's wearing a tiny crop top and a tiny pair of shorts. Geez, won't you freeze to death woman?

"Hey," I reply curtly. I'm about to turn and walk towards the theater, when I see someone else walking behind her.

Chase?

"Hey there, Nerdy Bum," he says with a smile.

"Chase! What're you doing here?" I ask with a grin." Don't you have your own project to do?"

"I ditched my partner and told him to do it on his own," he says with a devilish grin.

"Who did you get paired up with?"

"Brian State," he replies and by his expression I can make out that he probably doesn't like Brian. Bad boys and Nerds don't usually get along.

"We're on a date," Alyssa suddenly says as she wraps her hands around Chase's arm. "We're gonna watch a movie and after that, lets collect the measurements."

"And what do I do, stand out in the cold for two hours waiting for you guys to finish watching your movie? Can you not, just finish your project and then do whatever you want?" I ask, my temper flaring up.

"You can go home and then come back when we're done," she says with a smile, acting as though she's being overly sweet to me.

"Or she could watch the movie with us," says Chase pleasantly.

"But then it won't be a perfect date babe," she whines with a pout.

"It will be just like all the other times when you're friends come over with us," he says simply.

Her features contort into a frown and she sighs. "Whatever. You can come with us, I guess."

"I didn't bring enough cash to buy a ticket," I state.

"Don't worry, I'll get it for you," says Chase with a smile.

XxX XxX XxX XxX

Okay , let me get this straight. I am your typical teenage girl, and I love my chick-flicks and rom-coms.