28 | fudge

For the super-heroes,

"All the best heroes are ordinary people, who make themselves extra-ordinary."

- Gerard Way.

__________

CH 28

"Okay, but he hardly even knows me," I tell Chase, as he's seated on my bed, playing with Crookshanks.

"Jeremy hardly even knows any of the people that he's inviting. That's the speciality of the parties he throws."

I sigh before leaning on my work desk. Jeremy Cooper, present captain of the football team is now throwing one of the school's largest parties, complete with alcohol. Of course we've interacted like, once when I was pranking Aaron Shuntz after he ditched Layla, but that's about it.

"Honestly Fae, just come on. Have some fun." He heaves Crookshanks onto his lap, and then looks up at me. "You're always absorbed in your work these days."

I contemplate this for a moment, and then smile. "Alright then."

XxX XxX XxX XxX

Jeremy's house is like ever other teenage party that you might see in a high school movie. Red solo cups litter the grass, there's a large photo-booth placed in a corner and a big stereo set playing some loud, head bashing music.

"Do you think we have to say hi to him!?" I shout over the sounds of the music but Chase just shakes his hand, his hand latched tightly around mine.

We squeeze ourselves between the throngs of people, moving their bodies to the sounds of the music. The mixture of every person's perfume and sweat makes a deadly smelling combination and my hand immediately covers my mouth.

I spot Layla with her cheer-squad, and I give her a wave with my other hand. She must have come here directly from school, after her cheer practice was over.

"Yo Chase!"

We turn around to find the swim-team beckoning the two of us forward. "Hey guys!" I say as I walk over to them. "Are you all ready for your swim tournament?"

"Not as ready as your boy is!" A dark skinned boy named Duce, gives Chase a strong thump on his back. The horrid smell makes it's way back, and my gag reflexes kick in, my hand going up to cover my mouth again. Chase's swim-team friends look at me in concern, and Chase immediately ushers me away from the crowd.

"We need to get you away from this smell," he frantically says. He peaks into the kitchen, only to find it filled with a number of people playing beer pong. The staircase is lined with people making out and even the bathroom is filled with passed out people lying on the floor.

He leads us into a small room, next to the stair case. It's pitch black and you can hear the messy sounds of two people kissing each other. He immediately pulls me back out, but before I can leave, I hear a girl's voice.

"Alex, the door is open."

Alex!? As in Alex Kingsley?

With shaking hands I flick the light switch on, only to find Alex standing with a swollen lip, and messed up hair as a result of his latest make out session.

I am unable to digest this. I'm not hurt or angry or sad. No. I'm shocked. Shocked beyond my wits, because it was just yesterday that he was telling me that it's true love that he has me.

True love, yeah right.

"So this is your idea of true love, is it?" My teeth clench in shock, and my hands are very shaky. Chase places a hand on the small of my back to steady me.