07 | easter eggs

For the weird ones,

"Blessed are the weird ones; the artists and the poets, the hipsters and the writers, the dreamers and the outsiders. For they force us to see the world differently."

- Unknown

_________________

CH 7

Pre - school time, is always a chaotic and mad rush at Layla's house. There's Vanessa tugging and pulling at a wad of bubblegum from Molly's hair, Layla's burning something on the stove and Uncle Ted's sneezing horrendously due to the smoke.

Yeah just a little tit bit of information, Uncle Ted's sneezes are scarier than the Grim Reaper.

I walk forward hesitantly to help Vanessa with Molly's hair. Molly, (unlike her mom whos rather panicked), is thrilled. "Does this mean I can stay home today?" she asks with a grin.

Auntie Vanessa stares at her 'Rat's nest', like hair. "Oh what the hell, okay!" she says and slams down the comb on the coffee table. "Yeah yeah you can."

Molly squeals excitedly and jumps off the chair. That little devil! I bet she put the chewing gum in her hair as a plan to stay home. Damn, this girl might just grow up to be better than me.

"All I asked was for you to watch over the eggs, Layla, not fricking burn them!" shouts Auntie Vanessa hysterically.

"I don't know they just..." trails off Layla pathetically as she scrapes hard at the frying pan.

"Here, now get going!" says Vanessa as she puts two granola bars into her hands.

"Hey, guys?" I say wondering if anyone was even aware that I was there.

Auntie Vanessa, after switching off the  stove, looks at me and she seems a little less panicked.

"Yes honey?"

"Umm hey, uh could you hold onto this for while?" I say and thrust my sketchbooks at her. "Keep them safe for me."

After the stunt my mom pulled yesterday, I was determined not to let these sketch books in her sight.

Vanessa looks at me funnily. She takes the books from me and then looks at my face as though searching for answers. Immediately her eyes land on the scar under my eye.

"What happened to-"

But before anything else Layla pulls me away. "We're gonna be late!"

XxX XxX XxX XxX

We've made it in time and once we get inside I see that Layla's got a different aura about herself. She's walking with her head held high, her arms swinging more freely and it looks like there's a tiny bit of a sashay in her walk.

"You look great!" I say as I take in her fringed black crop top and jeans.

"I feel great, Fae. More confident," she says with a grin.

It's nice how what you feel on the inside can actually be seen on the outside.

"So you're over him right?" I ask.

"For the most part, yes," she says with a wink.

But before I can say anything else I feel a hand tug on me tightly. I whirl around and come face to face with a set of deep brown eyes.

"I'm pissed with you," he says with a scowl.

"Oh yeah? Well me too!" I say and cross my hands.