10 | jelly

For the writers,

"Write hard and clear about what hurts."

-Ernest Hemingway.

_________________

CH 10

I walk out of my house and just as I'm about to reach the road, I hear the sound of Chase's black Gallardo. "Morning Nerdy Bum!" Chase yells enthusiastically.

"Morning yourself," I reply grumpily. My sleep's been disturbed by our previous night's rendezvous. I have dark circles under my eyes and I was  too lazy to even apply concealer.

I hop into the backseat and Chase peers into the rear view mirror. "Geez you look like you've just survived a zombie apocalypse."

"Thats not nice Chase. And I might reconsider being your friend If you keep up that attitude," I say teasingly. Of course I don't mean it. Hell, this guy bought me ice cream at three in the morning. All I need is a slight indication that I can place my trust in him, and though it is a risky thing to do, I'm pretty sure it will be done soon.

The empty threat seems to have worked cause he quickly frowns and says, "Wait was I talking to you? I actually meant to say that to Ian right here," he says gesturing to Ian.  "I'm sorry Nerdy Bum, you looks as pretty as a flower with a couple of dew drops," he gabbles pathetically.

I snort out in amusement and then face Ian. He's tapping away at his phone oblivious to the conversation around him. "Hey Ian."

"Hello, Fae."

"Whatcha doing?" I ask leaning towards the front seat to catch sight of his phone screen.

"None of your damn business," he replies rudely and shoves his phone into his pocket.

"Ooooh what was it?" I ask getting all the more curious. "Are you working for the Mafia? Or selling drugs online? Or illegal gambling? What is it, Ian, tell me, what is it!?"

"Do you have to speak so much?" he asks looking annoyed. He turns to Chase and asks, "And do you have to give her a ride, cause if it was up to me, I'd drop her here on the side of the road. See right there, there's even a bit of grass."

"You still haven't answered my question!" I say in a sing song voice, to further rile him up. "You can trust me you know. I won't tell anyone your secrets."

He turns to me with an enraged look on his face. "The only person I've ever been able to trust, is myself," he says and I have to admit it sounds pretty deep.

"Who do you think you are, Shakespeare?" I scoff. "I'm settling for the Mafia. I'll ask my spies to keep an eye on you. Any suspicious behaviour and I'll see to it that you're in jail."

He sticks up a finger at me and turns around. Chase laughs at our interaction and then we swerve into the school building.

The first thing I notice is the crowd around the entrance of the school building. Ian quickly shuts the door close and walks past the crowd without so much as a second glance.

Chase on the other hand lingers behind and I kind of feel obliged to wait for him. I stay back while he does who knows what. When he catches me tapping my foot impatiently he fumbles and begins tying his shoe.

"Chase, what are you doing? We have to go!" I tell him exasperatedly. "Or is it okay if I leave?"

"Wait Fae, uh... just... just wait for me. I'll be out in a sec," he says and he seems a little nervous.