Chapter five: How it All Started

Kai's POV

Well, things just got real interesting.

Surprise! The jerk who gassed us was Cole, not saying that I'm impressed.

"Cole..." Lloyd said slowly, "Is that you?"

He gave him a slight nod. He turned away from us with his head down.

"But how can you be Cole?! You look so awesome-- you have a scratchy beard!" Jay cried.

"Thanks," Cole replied, "I've been growing it out."

"What happened?" I asked.

"Yeah, and where are we?" Nya asked.

"Apparently, you're in Ninjago City," Cole answered, "Or it was."

"Ha!" Jay laughed, "At first I thought we were in the future. Funny story of how we got here. We traveled...in a tornado!" Jay gave him a nervous laugh.

Cole gasped, "Oh..yeah about that...I did that."

We all gasped. Jay nearly passed out. I could tell that the look on his face he was trying not to smile.

"What are you hiding, buddy..." I said, "What do you mean you did this?"

Cole stared at me like he didn't know what to say.

"Cole..." Lloyd said slowly, "What happened to Ninjago?"

He stood there paralyzed for a moment then said, "Come, have a seat."

We all sat on the couch. I sat next to Nya so Jay couldn't. I'm sick and tired of him talking about how much he likes my sister.

Cole cleared his throat, "It all started 5 years ago. It was just a normal day in Ninjago.We were-"

"Whoa whoa whoa back it up!" Jay shouted, "5 years?! Aren't you just as old as us?"

"No," Cole replied, "This dimension is 5 years older than yours."

"Wait a minute...dimension?" I asked, "Are we in a different dimension?"

Cole nodded, "You're in the Second Dimension. Apparently, I'm not your Cole. I brought you for a reason."

"Which is..." Jay started.

"I'm getting there Jay," Cole said a bit irritated, "It was just another day in Ninjago. We were helping out with training Nya to become a better water ninja. Until Sensei Wu told us that Ronin was going to destroy the realm crystal, taking it to the ancient volcano. We went there immediately. We made it in time but the volcano was about to erupt. First, we stopped Ronin, then had to leave quickly. One problem...the volcano shook and Lloyd fell and was hanging by a cliff, but the realm crystal was near me too. I didn't know which one to choose...." Cole paused, "I..I...I took the crystal---"

"You what?!" I cried. Everyone gasped.

"I was gonna get him but...it was too late," Cole finished. "Everyone was angry at me of course and I ran away for what I did to Lloyd. The gang went to the underworld to get him back but...something changed. Darkness filled in his heart and wanted to kill me and then destroy Ninjago. So yes, Lloyd in my dimension is evil."

"That's horrible," Nya said trying not to cry, "Where's the rest of you?"

"There is none," Cole said quietly.

Lloyd gasped, "They're dead?!"

"No they're not dead," he frowned, "Well....just Zane. Kai and Jay joined Lloyd's side. It's just me and Nya now."

"I turn against my own sister?!" I wanted to kill him, "Why on earth would I do that!"

"Zane's gone again?!" Jay got up to Cole's face, "You and Nya?! I turn against my girlfriend?! What else is new Sensei Wu and Misako are gone?"