Chapter 1

"Elena I'm hungry" Carl whines from the table.

"The pancakes are almost done" I said turning to give him a smile.

"Is my dad coming home early today?" Carl asked. He left early in the morning. I don't want to worry Carl but I have a strange feeling something bad happened.

"Here you go fresh chocolate chip pancakes" I hand him a plate with two big pancakes.

Carl smiled as he shoves a fork fill of pieces of pancakes in his mouth.

"Slow down kiddo we have time" I said messing his hair up. I have to take him to school in 20 minutes.

Carl grimes is this cute sweet kid I watch over when his dad has to work. I live next door.

"Go wash your face and grab your jacket" I said watching him nod and ran up the stairs. I grab the plates and quickly wash them.

"I'm ready" Carl says.

"I see that your shoes are untied" he looked down with a frown.

"My mom was teaching me but" he whispered the last part.

"I'll teach you" I bend down in front of him and quickly tie them.

"You have me kiddo" I look up at him and he half smiled.

"Let's go before we're late" I lock the door and grab his hand.

"You spend most of your time here"   I roll my eyes at Caroline's comment. She says why do I watch Carl when I should be living my life.

"So?" I cut some carrots into little piece for the sauce.

"Carl isn't your kid why do you care?" Caroline says annoyed.

"He lost his mom Caroline......I know how it feels to be alone" my parents and brother died in a car accident when I was 15. I was left alone with my half sister. She left to college a few months ago. She wanted to become a doctor.

"But he has a dad" she doesn't like the fact that I'm dating his dad. She says its messed up how I'm dating my neighbor when he lost his wife 2 years ago. She had lung cancer and was struggling with the pain.

"I like watching him. He's sweet and funny" Carl and I have a lot of fun together.

"But you act like his mother" Caroline said.

"I'm not, there's a difference when you care for someone" I don't want to replace Lori. You get only one mother.

"Look Caroline you either like it or not. I'm still going to care for Carl and Rick" I give her a serious look before turning to the stove.

"Okay okay I'm sorry. Do you need help?" She says with a friendly voice.

"Can you hand me the noodles?" I smile as she grabs the noodle box.

"Crap I'm late for work......I'll see you later" Caroline gave me a quick hug before running out the back door.

I hear the door close and I let out a long sigh. I was worried about Rick. He didn't call me at lunch or text me. I knew something happened.