Chapter 11

We enter and look around at the lobby. It's completely empty.

"Hello?" Rick says before we hear a gun cock.

A man was in the doorway, with a rifle in his hands.

"Anybody infected?" He says pointing the gun to Rick.

"One of our group was. He didn't make it." I said grabbed Rick's hand. 

"Why are you here? What do you want?" He says.

"A chance." Rick says looking at the others.

"That's asking an awful lot these days." He says still pointing the gun at us.

" I know." The man looks at every one.

"You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission."

"We can do that." I said gulping down nervously.

"You got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes it stays closed." He lowers his weapon. We all ran through the doors and follow him  into an elevator.

"VI, seal the main entrance. Kill the power up here." He says making me confused.

"Rick Grimes." Rick puts his hand out for him to shake. The man looks away.

"Dr. Edwin Jenner." He mumbled.

"Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl says leaning against the wall of the elevator.

"There were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself. But you look harmless enough. Except you, I'll have to keep my eye on you." He says to Carl with a smile.
Carl smiles back at the doctor. Jenner chuckled. When he looks away the smile on his face dies. Out of the elevator Jenner leads us down a hallway.

"Are we underground?" Carol says looking around scared.

"Are you claustrophobic?" Jenner asked.

"A little."

"Try not to think about it." We enter the large darkened space.

"VI, bring up the lights in the big room. Welcome to Zone 5."

"Where is everybody? The other doctors, the staff?" Rick asked.

"I'm it. It's just me here. I'm all that's left. I'm sorry." Jenner proceeded take Andrea's blood for a sample. Everyone else is done.

"What's the point? If we were infected, we'd all be running a fever." Andrea said bitterly.

"I've already broken every rule in the book letting you in here. Let me just at least be thorough." Jenner says before drawing the blood out to little tubes.

"All done." Jenner as Andrea stands up but fell towards Jacqui who catches her.

"Are you okay?" Jacque asked with concern. Andrea forced a smile and nods.

"She hasn't eaten in days. None of us have." Jacqui looked at us. Jenner told us to sit while he got dinner started.

Everyone, including Jenner, is seated at a large round table eating pasta and drinking wine. Everyone was happy. It's nice to see them smile even for a while.

"You know, in Italy, children have a little bit of wine with dinner. And in France." Dale says to me.

"Well, when Carl is in Italy or France, he can have some then." I said.

"What's it gonna hurt? Come on. Come on." Rick smiled at me. Dale laughs when I look at Carl.

"What?" Carl says confused with everyone laughing. Dale hands Carl a glass with half an inch of wine in it.