Chapter fourteen

A wake up call woke the gang up bright and early so they can move on to the next city. Val and Matt were close to tears from the minute they woke up. Kate suggested they go have a quick breakfast so they could be alone. They agreed with her and took off.

“I’m gonna miss Val.” Kate said to Brian as they were packing in the bedroom.

“You’re gonna see her again in like two weeks.” He said with a smile. She rolled her eyes.

“I know that silly. But I liked not being the only girl.” He chuckled and folded a pair of jeans.

Kate tugged her hair and looked in her suitcase.

“What?” Brian asked. She sighed and dropped to her knees, then layed on her stomach.

Brian craned his neck to see what she was doing. She now had her left hand under the bed feeling around for something. Her face was contorted into deep concentration.

“Yes!” She said. When she stood up, she was holding one black high heel. Brian closed his eyes and shook his head.

“Shut up.” She said. He chuckled and zipped up his suitcase.

“Well I’m done.” He said, picking it up and walking out of the door. Zacky had packed the night before and Jimmy and Johnny were packing as well. Kate went into the bathroom and grabbed her makeup bag and her flat iron. She smiled at herself in the mirror then left the bathroom. She tossed her stuff in her suitcase and zipped it up and joined Zacky and Brian in the living room.

After a half hour, Brian got a text message.

“That was Matt. He said he’ll be back soon and to check out of the hotel.” Kate nodded and went to relay the message to Johnny and Jimmy. Then they filed out of the room and got into the elevator.

Brian handed Zacky Matt’s suitcase and went to return the room keys. Kate and the others went to the bus, which was waiting in the back of the hotel. When they came out, Brian was leaning against the bus.

“It’s gonna be a little while longer.” Kate sighed.

“Then I’m going to get some snacks for the ride.” She said. Zacky volunteered to go with her.

Kate picked up some chips and tea and candy and some new sunglasses and Zacky bought a carton of cigarettes. They checked out and ran back to the bus. Matt was just getting on when they got there. Zacky opened the carton and tossed Brian and Kate a pack and got on the bus. Kate hung back with Brian.

“Is he gonna be alright?” She asked. Brian lit a cigarette and nodded.

“Yeah, he just needs a little bit of alone time.” She nodded and got on the bus as well. Brian followed and they all settled down for a long ride.

They were on their way to Los Angeles for one of the last shows of the tour. After the LA show, they were heading to Long Beach for the last two shows, and then tour was over.

Kate took out her camera and started going through the photos from the last show. She picked out some of her favorites and uploaded them to her laptop for editing. Zacky plopped down beside her and watched her.

“Kate these are amazing.” She blushed and shrugged.

“They really are.” She smiled.

“Thanks Zacky.” He nodded.

“Ha! I love that one of me and Syn.” He said. He was talking about a photo of him and Brian standing back to back playing a duel solo. Brian had this priceless look on his face and Zacky was just laughing.

“I’ll be sure to make you a copy.” He laughed and nodded.

It wasn’t too long after she started that Kate became bored. She layed down on the couch upside down and rested her feet against the window. Jimmy laughed and joined her. Brian raised his eyebrow and shook his head. Then the bus went over a bump, sending Kate flipping forward right at Brian’s feet. She laughed so hard she couldn’t breathe. Zacky started laughing too.

“Brian she looks like you went you get too drunk.” Brian shot him a look and rolled his eyes. Johnny walked over and picked up Jimmy from the floor.

“Brian help me up!” Kate said through laughter. He shook his head.

“No, I think you can handle it.” She slowly stopped laughing and tried to get up, but failed miserably.

“Brian! Help me!” She whined. He chuckled and shook his head.

“Nope, you got yourself down there; you can get yourself up.” She pouted.

“PLEASE!” She said loudly. Now he just started laughing. Kate huffed and attempted to get up. The way she fell, her feet were over her head and she was bent funny so she couldn’t just swing them over, she would hurt her neck. She was flailing her legs in the air trying to get herself into a sitting position. Brian sighed and picked Kate up by her arms and set her upright. She smiled at him and stood up.

“Thank you.” She said. He chuckled and nodded.

“Sure thing.” Then he went to the fridge and grabbed a beer and went back to the bunks to check on Matt.

Kate sat back down on the couch and rested her head on Zacky’s shoulder. He slipped his arm around hers and started watching a movie that Johnny picked out. Not too long in the movie, Kate grew bored and decided to take a nap. She cuddled up to Zacky and fell asleep.

Brian and Matt talked for a while then he decided to go back to the living area. When he opened the door, he saw Kate snuggled up to Zacky. All of a sudden, this overwhelming sense of jealousy overcame him. His fists clenched and he turned around and went to his bunk. Matt sensed something was wrong and sat down beside him.

“Everything alright?” He asked. Brian thought a minute before answering.

“How do you think Kate feels about Zacky?” He asked. Matt was taken aback.

“What?” Brian sighed and tugged his hair.

“I don’t know. Do you think Kate has feelings for Zack?” Matt had to hold back a chuckle.

“Brian, I think Kate see’s him as more of a brother than anything else.” Brian layed back on his bed.

“Yeah.” Matt raised his eyebrow.

“Why?” Brian shrugged and closed his eyes. Matt took this as his cue to leave and went to sit with the others. As soon as he opened the door, he knew why Brian asked his question.

Kate and Zacky were now laying down on the couch with each other asleep. Matt looked at them, then back at Brian then went with the others. He shot a look at Johnny who shrugged, then to Jimmy who shook his head. Matt shrugged and sat down and watched the movie.