Chapter eighteen

Kate was awoken a few hours later by a knock at the door. She groaned and rolled over.

“Go away!” She shouted. She heard a chuckle for the other side of the door and knocked again.

“Kate, you gonna let me in or what?” It was Brian. She threw a pillow at the door.

“Come on Kate, please?” He said quietly. She sighed and rolled out of bed and went to the door.

“You better not be drunk.” She grumbled as she opened it.

Standing on the other side of the door was Brian in a pair of light jeans and a black t-shirt.

“So, can I help you with something?” Kate said as she put her hands on her hips. Brian chuckled and gently pushed his way in.

“I was just coming to see what you were up to.” He said. Kate rolled her eyes and shut the door.

“Well let’s see, it’s almost midnight so that would mean I was probably ASLEEP!” She shouted. Brian laughed and sat down on a bed.

“Oh so you’re saying I woke you up?” He asked. She said and crawled back into bed.

“Yeah.” He chuckled and moved to the edge of her bed.

“I thought you were going to a bar?” Kate asked. Brian nodded.

“I did, but then I got bored.” Kate yawned and nodded.

Brian chuckled and pulled the sheet up around Kate’s shoulders.

“Alright, I’ll leave you alone then.” He said standing up. Kate closed her eyes and buried her head in the pillow.

“You don’t have to.” She said sleepily. Brian smiled slightly and reached over and brushed her hair off her cheek.

“It’s okay. I’ll see you in the morning.” He said softly. She yawned and nodded, then rolled over.

“Goodnight Brian.” She said.

“Goodnight Kate.”

He watched her until she was asleep before leaving to go to his own room.

He took out his key and opened the door. For once, he was thankful that he had his own room. He sighed and took his shoes off and tossed them on the floor. He peeled off his shirt and jeans and layed down on his bed. He turned the tv on for a while then decided just to go to sleep.

That night, Brian had the worst nightmare of his life. In his dream, everything was dark. He could hear screaming somewhere behind him. He turned and ran in the direction of the screaming. After what seemed like hours he finally found the source. It was Kate. She was lying on the ground and she was covered in blood. He fell to his knees and touched her cheek. It was cold as ice. Then he heard laughing behind him. As he turned around he saw Scott standing there with a gun pointed at Brian’s head. Brian went to make a move but as soon as he did, Scott pulled the trigger.

“AH!” Brian screamed out loud. He bolted upright and put one hand on his head and the other over his racing heart.

He looked over at his nightstand and saw his phone was vibrating. It was Kate. He breathed a sigh of relief and picked up the phone.

“Hello?” He said.

“Hey, we’re heading down to breakfast are you coming or what?” She asked. He wiped his forehead and closed his eyes.

“Yeah give me a minute.” He said.

“Sure, knock on my door when you’re ready.”

Brian took a few deep breaths before getting out of bed. He pulled on a shirt and pants and put a beanie on before leaving the room. He walked down the hall to Kate’s room and lightly knocked on the door.