Chapter sixteen

Once they were all back on the bus, the prepared themselves for the last leg of their journey. It was only going to be about five more hours on the bus then they would be in LA. Kate was more excited than ever. She had always wanted to see LA and now she got her free ticket.

The guys were all sitting in the living area and Kate had the whole bunks to herself. She had her laptop open and her ipod on. She decided to work on some photos to send to the guy’s PR manager. The song changed on her ipod and she couldn’t help to sing along.

“And I’m blasting off my way into the stars, with my hand held back just waiting here, so come grab on and fly along but I called out one too many times, for you to meet those glassy eyes, you were not around and that’s okay.”

The song was called “Baby Doll” and it was written by a local band she followed in high school. It was a slower acoustic song and she loved it because she had the biggest crush on the lead singer at the time and she loved how when she sang the words back to him, he’d smile at her.

She kept on singing along with her eyes closed. She hadn’t noticed Brian leaning in the doorway listening to her.

“And I BET you call him baby doll, cause THAT'S exactly what you called me sweetly lying desperately each night, and I’m BLASTING off my way into the stars, with my hand held back just waiting here, so come grab on and fly along, but I called out one too many times, for you to meet my glassy eyes, you were not around and that’s okay, you were not around and that’s okay.”

When the song was finished, she heard clapping behind her. She jumped and paused her ipod. When she turned and saw Brian standing there with a smirk on his face, she blushed hard.

“How long have you been standing there?” She asked nervously. He took a step towards his bunk.

“At least the second chorus.” She dropped her head and covered her face.

“Oh God.” She said quietly. He chuckled.

“You have a pretty voice.” She slowly brought her head up.

“You think?” He smiled at her and nodded.

“Who wrote that anyway?” He asked, pulling out an acoustic guitar.

“Some local band I was into when I was in high school.” She said. Brian strummed his guitar until it was tuned up then sat on the edge of his bunk.

“Can you play it for me?” He asked her. Kate raised her eyebrow.

“Why?”

“Because I want to hear all of it.” She sighed and unplugged her headphones and plugged the ipod into her laptop. Then she pressed play.

“Strangely I write, to get you off my mind, but as my fingers strum these chords I don’t feel fine. It don’t make much sense cause you’re lingering in this mess, when I sing these mellow tunes I’m wrecked at best. And I promised you I’d write you the happiest of tunes, and believe me dear I’m trying oh I promise you I’m trying, and I’m blasting off my way into the stars, with my hands held back just waiting here, so come grab on and fly along, but I called out one too many times for you to meet these glassy eyes, you were not around and that’s okay.”