Chapter 34: Mr. Wrong.

Owen's point of view.

"We did not just lose her" North Taylor growls, the sound breaking the air and vibrating on our own chests "Not to him! And you're fucking asking us to do... nothing?!"
"I do, Mr. Taylor. For now"
This time, is Victor who loses it.
"This is insane! She knows the truth and she's out there thinking we used her!"
"And we did" Silas curls in the sofa "We emotionally used her. We are abusers"
Nathan clenches his fists.
"Shut up! Just shup up!"
"Our family is not breaking because of her!" I state. And now, Is Sean.
"No, you're right, Owen. It's you"
"Dr. Green, I am only trying to protect this family..."
"You are only trying to protect your broken heart. And you know why? Because you can see it too ; you can see her changing us, chanching you! Are you that afraid to love?"
"Dr. Green, I don't think this is the mo-"
"Bullshit!"Gabriel yells, pacing back and forth. "That is all bulshit!"
"Mr. Coleman!"
"Wake up, Owen! Take a deep look! What do you see?"
I see my brothers: Eight broken hearted guys standing in front of me, ripped apart. For a girl I was too scared of.
She reminds me of my mother. Is a thought that I push in the back of my head since it has made presence, but today I can only think about it.
There is nothing of my mother in her. Mother was sassy and a wild soul that was thought to be settle down, a wingless bitterfly after the storm, with bright color dresses and dark hair. She was tamed then killed by a beast I once called father. And even when they are so different,there is this one thing that pushes them together in my mind: That soul deep within. That look in her eyes that show me how deep she can love, how strong, how long.
Her love is the type that is all or nothing, nothing else in between. This love will lift us up or will let us fall untill our bones are crushed in concret, and then, we will love each other more. Until it kills us.
My father killed my mother.
And the truth is, that little girl terrifies me.
I'm breathless.
"Owen?"
"Mr. B?"
"Oh, for God's sake"
"Owen!" Sean insists.
"Mr. Blackbourne!"
"I think he's not breathing. Kota, go and look for my bag!"
The world is unstable. I feel like falling and my lungs are empty. I know they're not, in the inside, but it doesn't feel like it. I can feel the oxygen getting in through my mouth and nose down to my lungs, but is like my brain isn't checking it.
I can't breathe.
I'm going to die.
"What is wrong with him?" I hear Luke ask at the distance.
I can't really concentrate. I'm shaking, cold sweat in my forehead and fingers. They feel so cold. Freezing.
"Dr. Green!" Silas shouts.
"He's having a panick attack. Owen, listen to me, you are gonna be okay. Your brain is just trying to cope with whatever irrarional thought you decided to think, or feel. Take a deep breathe!"
"Shit, shit!"
"Gabe, he's gonna be fine, stop freaking out!" Nathan snaps.
This is what we've been reduced to. Snapping and falling and cracking.
My childhood house is the memory of failing. I was raised with love inside of those rooms and the couch was the place where my parents fell in love over and over again, the kitchen where muffins would be cooked on sundays while watching a movie, all curled together in bed. That is the house where love failed us, abd I became it.
Is this one too? Are we a shaking, failing, loveless house? Is this it? Are we four walls ready to explode?
"MR. BLACKBOURNE COME THE FUCK BACK! DOCTOR, WHAT'S THE FUCKING WRONG, DAMN IT?"
North is losing it, holding my shoulders while I bend on the floor.
I feel more hands trying to keep me from falling, but it's late. I'm falling into the void, spinning around. It's the way it feels.
I'm falling down.
"I think he's not breathing!" Mr. Coleman yells. Gabriel. Have I failed him at constructing a home for him? For all of them?
"He is, Gabriel. Don't worry. Owen, can you hear me? Owen, concentrate. I need you to do this with me, okay? Listen to my voice. Where are you?"
My heart ia beating so fast. It is hitting against my chest with such strenght I am scared. No, no scared: terrefied. It's gonna jump off my chest. I know. I know!
"My... my heart" I manage to whisper, holding my hand onto my chest.
"Doc?" My brother Nathan calls, alarmed "I think there's something wrong with his heart"
"Fuck, fuck, fuck " Silas repeats, while I hear footsteps going back and forth.
"Owen, focus! Listen to me, your heart is just fine. If you think you are gonna die on me you are dead wrong!"
"How do you stop a panick attack?"
"You can't, Victor. You have to let is pass and try to focus on what's real. Are you hearing me, Owen? Snap out of it! What do you feel? What do you here?"
I feel... I'm starting to feel my limbs. My arms, bach and legs on the wooden floor, the warmth of another body near me, Sean checking my vitals. I focua my eyea on my brother, who lean in and are almost breathing on my face.
"Owen?"
Come back, come back. What did I used to do before, when these things happened? When I was a little boy who had lost everything, before I had to reinvent myself.
Nothing. I did nothing because I thought it was uncontrolable. It was something I had to endure until it was finally gone.
I feel extremely exhausted. Drained off energy. I could lie down here and stare at the ceiling forever. But I am Owen Blackbourne, and Owen Blackbourne does not stay staring at the ceiling when he has things to so. Trues to face.
Sea was right.
I take a deep breath and I see North looking down on me, still holding onto my shoulders. I see fear in his eyes.
"I think he's awake!" Luke exclaims.
"For God's sake, Owen. Say something"
I swallow hard and focus on my brothers.
"Well, this is definetely not the time to have a breakdown. We have things to do"
They stare at me, and Seab does the unexpected: He laughs.
"Only can say that after a panic attack. Damn it, Owen"
I try to smile.
"If you excuse me, Mr. Taylor, I find myself perfectly fine at this moment. I'd be grateful if you let go of my shoulders. Thank you"
For a moment, it seems like he's breathless, but he lets go slowly abd I stand up with help of Nathan and Silas.
"Well, then" I begin, putting my tie straight "I believe we have things to do"
"You just had a psychotic breakdown, Mr. B! You can't be fucking serious!"
"Mr. Coleman, I did not have have such a thing. It was just a panick attack. It's perfectly normal"
"No, it's not" Sean points out.
I act as I didn't hear him.
"I think, glentleman, I owe an apology"
Victor starts to open his mouth, but I stop him with the palm of my hand in the air.
I take a deep breathe.
"You... were right. And I was wrong. All along"
They stare at me, surprised.
"Eh?"
"I was protecting my heart. I was selfish and reckless. I hope you can forgive me for such acts like that"
"Maybe he has fever?" Gabriel asks, looking at Sean. He just smiles and shake his head.
"Finally, Owen. Can't believe you had to have a panick attack to get at it. Feel better?"
"If terribly ashamed is better, then indeed, I am. My actions have been... unforgivable. I abandoned our first rule and it's something I will not forgive myself for. But I was holding onto the hope you may can"
The older of the Taylor brothers is gaping, looking back and forth between each one of us.
"What is happening?"
"What is happening is that he's admiting to have feelinga too for Miss Sorenson"
"Princess?"
"Sang baby?"
Kota passes a hand over his hair.
"Let ne get this straight: Each and everyone of you is actually in love with her"
"Yes, I fear, Mr. Lee"
"What are we supposed to do then?"
"Right now, Mr. Lee, we are gonna do everything in our hands to get her back. We'll crawl if necessary to gain her forgiveness. We'll learn the way into her heart, we will try and be patient. Or can you tell me you can live without her now?"
The room stay silent.
"I thought so. She is part of this family now, and we don't let family down. Not once again as I did with you, no never. As for what happens next to that, we will cross that bridge when the moment arrives. Right now the question is: Will you be able to forgive me?"
At the beginning there is silence. Then it breaks.
"Of course , Owen. Always"
I feel relief on my chest.
"I am grateful, thank you, doctor Green"
One by one, they grant me their forgiveness until there's only North left. I know this will be hard. The things between us are still tense, still burning red.
"I forgive you" The words leave his lips so slowly is like it almost didn't happen, but it did. I don't think I have ever heard him sound this... calm? No, not calm. He's shocked, I think. There is something wrong with Mr. Taylor.
"Mr. Taylor?"
He blinks, toring his eyes away from me. Then he steps fordwar and hugs me tight.
"I thought you were gonna die. You fucking scared me"
Slowly, I hug him back, and then I know there is still a long way for us to go, but I know he forgives me.
The room is silent for a moment and I know I have to continue.
"Then, here is the plan, gentlemen: We get her back. We explain, and we hope. There is no imposible for an Academy member, and certainly not for us, I won't allow it and I hope neither of you. We'll make things right. And then we'll do it again until she feels safe and she gets the attention she needs. Consensualy, of course. Victor, look up for Eleazar Rossum and his family right away. We need this information in a deadline of half an hour, no more. Call the Toma team and ask for a favor if it's needed, Cory Henshaw will be able to pull this off quickly. Mr Griffin, Korba and the younger of the Taylors will go to his house and look for them once we have the information. Mr. Taylor, you and Mr. Lee will look in the nearest hospitals. She was bleeding very much and needed attention right away. Is there anyway track his car? Once we have the information the rest of us will be trying to follow him. Do you agree with the plan?"
"I am willing and I will obey" The say, almost in a chorus.
"Fine. Now, move!"
The room is a mess for minutes, but then everyone waits for information as Victor talks to one of the Henshaw twins. He appears on the screen of the computer a couple minutes later.
"So. What's his name again?"
"Rossum. Eleazar Rossum. We know he is the owner of some clubs in town with his brother, Robert Rossum"
Then another head appears in the screen. Is his team mate, Mr. Ravenstahl.
"I know the guy. Well, I've heard of him. His clubs are awesome"
"Not the time, Raven" Mr. Henshaw says, looking distracted and tapping on the keyboards.
"I'm just saying I may help. What is the deal with this guy?"
"He took our bird, that's the problem" I state, looking at his eyes.
They look at each other and then at us, the keyboard stopping for a moment.
"Wait. You have a bird in your team?" The russian speaks.
"Not your bussines, Moscow" Mr. Taylor, North, growls.
"Cut the crap, East!" He responds back "We didn't know. We have a bird too"
Do they?
"Wait, what? You do? But the Academy..." Gabriel starts.
"Gentlemen, we have not time for this!" I call for their attention "We need to find Mr. Sorenson right away before it's too late! The more he's with him, the more ideas he puts in his head"
"Is Rossum stealing birds?" Ravenstahl asks, clenching his jaw.
"Ours" Sean crosses his arms "Corey, anything yet?"
"Found him. Eleazar Michael Rossum, born into a wealthy family... His file is full. Can we know what are we exactlt looking for? Besides properties and such?"
"Anything on him" Victor replies, still looking at his own file of him. He opens a window and a house appears on google maps.
"Okay, I got his house. Which is on the outside of Charleston. Sang was bleeding bad, I don't think he could have risked her like that"
"You're right, Mr. Morgan. But we can't and won't risk it. Gentlemen, to his house, now!"
The assigned boys leave and the rest of us stay and wait for information.
"His mother is the founder and director of Cima hospital, twenty minutes away from your location. Their parents are divorced, his father is retired and owns a house also on the outside of Charleston, but heading west. Labeled as a lake house, but the only one he posses. Robert Rossum ownes an apartment on the heart of the city, unlikely for them to be there without being discovered but not impossible. Weirdest things have happened before. He also owns a warehouse near the deck..."
The boys groan.
"Stupid rich people with properties" Mr. Korba curses, followed by something on his own language "No offense"
"None taken" Mr. Morgan says, still tyiping "Corey, can you hack into his GPS car?"
"Which one of them? It appears he owns five"
Yes, then. Stupid rich people with many properties.
"Team, it appears our plans have changed. You are driving to all these locations and looking for them, keep your phones with you, Mr. Morgan will send you the information and keep you updated if needed. You have permission to cross red lights"
"Let's move" Mr. Lee commands "No one goes alone. Mr. Blackbourne, won't you need more people if we're gone?"
"I can help" Mr. Ravenstahl says, lifting his chin "If there is some bird stealer then I'm fucking on it. I think the rest won't think differently"
I nod.
"We admit we are gonna need help. I'll dial your team leader and talk on the details, you gentlemen please keep looking up. Go!"
The rest of my team dissapears except for Sean, Mr. Morgan and myself. I take off my phone while Victor texts the information and Corey hacks into his cars' GPS. I talk to Mr. Toma about the case and they agree, showing certain worry too.
How is that they have a bird too?
"The Volvo is parked on his house" Victor informs.
"The BMW too" Corey says on the other side of the screen "It seems like the Audi too. I'm checking on the roads it's taken for the last hours... Humm... nothing uncommun. From one of his clubs to a bar, to his house. Twelve hours a go. Not our car"
"Then which is it?" Sean loses it, snapping and pacin back and forth.
"Dr. Green, calm yourself down!"
"We are doing everything in our hands" Mr. Morgan says, tense.
"I know... I know. Forgive me"
"Okay, the Jeta is in movement" Corey calls "We found it. Sending the coordenates"
"There's an hospital near where he is" Mr. Morgan frowns "But is far away from him. Why is he taking that risk with her bleeding? Oh, it's his family hospital. Makes sense"
"Sean, call the guys, inform them. Make a couple of then go inside and the others waiting on the outside in case we need an ambush"
He nods then taps on his cell phone.
"Rossum's reached destination, Mr. Blackbourne. I'm afraid the guys are too far on the wrong direction"
"I'll go" Ravenstahl offers "In case they're not on time. I can catch the bastard"
"Take the motorcycle!" I hear another member of the team in the background.
"Leaving!"
"His family hospital has no regrister of any wounded underaged on the last hour, but with his connections thay could mean nothing. Should I check on other hospitals Mr. B?'
"Yes. We are not taking risks"
Sean calls on the Academy hospital to push for any information on girls with Sang description.
The phone rings and North Taylor let me knows ither of them are in the assigned properties. After that call, I recieve a similar call fron the rest of them.
"Okay, I found something" Mr. Morgan calls "Stella Rossum isn't only the founder of the hospital but an actual doctor and a scientist. She was involved in an expetimental program years before. It doesn't say what it was about. I can't find it"
"On it" Mr. Henshaw doesn't look at us but at some point on the screen. He frowns "Humm... The name of the program wad called Eric Cress and was closed five years after its opening. The files on it are restrained. Someone didn't want people to know about this"
"Eric Cress, Stella Rossum younger brother"Mt
Morgan complements on him "He died young. Apparently, he was sick. He was on a mental clinic a couple years before being murdered by his own father..." I cringe, but let go "Guys. He was diagnosed with Disiosiative Disorder. Also known as Multiple Personalities Disorder. Is it a coincidence or are we too naive?"
"Why is this important?" Ask Mr. Henshaw, looking straight at us.
"Our bird, we believe, has the same problem" I answer "Will you fill us in into Stella Rossum house and office address?"
"Uh... sure"
Then, I call the guys to go look into Mrs. Rossum petsonal things, to find anything relevant. The ones who were looking at the hospital were directed to her office.
"Listen up" Mr. Henshaw calls, and I don't like his tone of voice. I'm really not gonna like this "I found some files on the proyect. Is too short, apparently from it's startes. I hacked into her computer by her wifi's house but this is the only relevant file. The Eric Cress Program is a medical research, very privet, very not approved by coallegues nor medical community as for the possible risks or abuse..."
"Mr. Henshaw, I"m gonna ask you to get to it"
"Right. Stella and Kevin Rossum were the leads on the program, with the main purpose of finding a possible permanent cure for the said Disorder. They named the program after the lost brother, as you know. The first subject was a teenager girl, but I think she wether died or dissapeard non them. Not specified. They tried with several people after that but none of them seemed to work until they found a little girl, just a kid. She was definetly what they were looking for because she lasted until it shut down. The reasons why are unknown"
No, I'm definetely not liking it.
"Do you have the name of the little girl?"
"I'm reading the reports..."
"Sang Sorenson" Mr. Morgan cuts in.
We freeze.
"SHIT!" Sean curses, pulling of his hair "Damn it! Damn it!"
"I'm guessing it's bad" Mt. Henshaw murmurs.
"That...is our bird"
"Damn it"
"Indeed, Mr. Henshaw. Indeed"
"I guess it will be necessary to mention the abuse she went through? Reports said her personalities were out of control after that. I can't blame her"
Sean hisses.
"Uh. Sorry"
"I am too, Mr. Henshaw. But for the Rossum family. They have no idea what's going their way"