Four Elements, Four Stages

Chapter Twenty-Three

"The Italians call them strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them aje, meaning mother. Where my mohter is from, they called them hexa, and here we call them witch. Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina," Elijah informed me.

We were in this little room, another study in the house. Elijah was showing me Davina's sketches that according to Marcel, she called the great evil. Elijah got ahold of the sketches and put them together to make one big picture, thinking it was some sort of premonition. It turns out the completed picture is of a former lover of his named Celeste, a powerful witch, who Klaus got killed about two centuries ago.

"Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection. Your Celeste was quite beautiful and a portent of evil according to our volatile artist in residence," Klaus stated, walking back into the room.

"Yes. Perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power. Celest was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for over 200 years. I don't understand why all these sketches now," Elijah replied.

"Why does any witch do anythin?" Klaus replied, taking a seat after Elijah did. I sighed and got up, walking over to sit on Klaus' lap. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed my cheek just as crashing sound came. Sounded like breaking glass. "Well, that's going well," Klaus commented. Apparently Marcel was going to talk to Davina.

"If you were trying to win the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea," Elijah commented.

"Oh. Are there any more inopportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face?"

"Give me a month. I'll get you a list."

"Stop it, will you?" I chimed in. Klaus chuckled slightly and rested his chin on my shoulder before another crash came and he looked ticked off.

"Young, old, dead, or alive, witches are a pain in the ass," he said. He then got me off of him and headed out the room. I ran after him, going upstairs to Davina's room. "What's with all the racket?" He asked annoyed.

I gasped as Davina began whimpering and coughing. Then dirt was beginning to be coughed up. "Bloody hell," Klaus said. The coughing didn't stop and then suddenly the room began to shake. Klaus was quick to grab me as things began falling over.

The shaking continued and Klaus picked me up and ran out the room to over look the balcony part of the compound. Everything was shaking. It was an earthquake. "What the hell is going on?" Rebekah asked from downstairs, where we overlooked.

"Davina," Klaus grunted. The shaking soon stopped and Klaus put me down. We headed downstairs, all of us now gathered around while Rebekah checked on the seemed to be sleeping Davina.

"This is madness. How can a 16 year old girl shake the entire French Quarter?" Klaus asked.

"I've seen her rock the church, but I've never seen anything like this," Marcel said.

"How did you control her when she was in the attic?" Klaus questioned.

"I didn't have to, but then I never killed her boyfriend."

"Yes, yes. We've been over this part already," I snapped. Klaus killed her boyfriend. We get it. He knows what he did was wrong. But we've mentioned it over and over again. They need to stop bringing it up. It wasn't solving anything.

"The point is, in her present state she's useless as a tool against the witches," Klaus said.

"She is not a tool. Something is wrong with her," I replied, smacking him on the arm for being so selfish. I was a bit cranky or grumpy you could say. I woke up on the wrong side of bed, I guess, maybe because for some reason I had morning sickness the moment I woke up. It was really the first time. And it was gross.