15. Falling

Time continued to pass and before they knew it had been eighteen months since they first met.

Neither of the spies would usually celebrate something as such but James decided he was ready to try.

It was late in the evening when he and Natalia were sat on the terrace roof of their apartment.

They were both sat on a picnic rug, staring at the stars.

James looked at Natalia and smiled.

He was in love and he was finally ready to say that.

"I got a present for you", he told her.

Natalia looked at him.
"You didn't have to", she told him.

James shook his head.
"I wanted to, here", he handed her a neatly wrapped box.

Natalia took it from his cold metal hand and slowly unwrapped the paper.

She carefully opened the lid once the paper was removed and she gasped when she saw what was inside.

"James..."

She gently picked up her gift from the box.

It was a gorgeous sliver necklace with a small star hanging in the centre.

Natalia smiled widely as she noticed the star was slightly red in colour, just like the star on James's metal arm.

"You like it?"

Natalia laughed and handed the necklace to James so he could attach it around her neck.
"Thank you James, I love it so much, I love..."

Natalia stopped and looked at James deeply once the necklace was hanging from her neck.

"I love you."

James melted and wrapped his arms tightly around Natalia's small form before she even finished saying those precious words.

"I love you too Natalia, so so much", he spoke into her hair.

They both laughed as a tear fell from each of their eyes.

When they finally pulled back from their embrace they smiled, both kissing one another loving.

It was their first time declaring their love for one another and they both knew that they could never say those three little words to anyone except each other.

They pulled back from their kiss and hugged again.

"I love you."
"I love you too."

They stayed like this for what felt like forever, sat in each other's arms, sharing body heat in the freezing night.

They both wanted to save this moment for eternity.

However their eternal moment was cut short when the sudden should of gun fire interrupted their blissfulness. 

By nature they both sprang into action and took cover behind a large vent on the roof.

"James!" Natalia said panicked.

"It's Red Room", he told her recognising the logo on one of the shooters uniforms.

He felt Natalia freeze beside him.

He turned to face her.

"I'm not letting them take you Natalia. I won't allow it", he promised.

He thought silently for a few seconds before speaking again.

"Do you trust me?" He asked.

Natalia looked at him.
"You know I do."

"Good."

James held Natalia's hand and pulled her to the edge of the building they were on top of.

"Stay hidden until I find you, okay?", he asked.

"Wait, what? I'm not leaving you here James. I can help you", Natalia told him.

"It won't be for long, I'll take these guys out and come and find you", he instructed.

"James, no", Natalia tried to protest.

"I love you Natalia", James whispered as he lent forward to kiss her.

Natalia returned the kiss with the same amount of emotion.

When they separated she heard James whisper in her ear.

"I'm sorry."

Natalia was suddenly falling.