T W E N T Y

People walked in and out of the apartment, picking up dressers and what not but leaving his bed. "Aren't you going to take the bed?" I asked one of them, they shook their head.

"We were given orders to only take the Telly and dressers." He answered, basically the things that didn't look childish.

"By whom?"

"Kenzie Scuttle."

"Not by the one actually moving out?" He shrugged and finished picking up a few things as Phil stood by staring at the floor, he looked up momentarily, making eye contact with me as he nibbled on his lip, Kenzie soon came and joined him, draping her arms around his neck but he continued to stare at me.

Kenzie leaned in, whispering something in his ear and he nodded silently.

"He'll call, okay, Dan?" Kenzie waved as she grabbed Phil's hand and pulled him out the door.

And like that, my friend was gone and everything that made him him was left behind except for the small stuffed lion that no longer sat where I placed him and instead was smuggled out by Phil.

The apartment was suddenly silent, either that, or I went deaf from the world and its pains, blocking out the sounds of engines outside the street or the soft music Kenzie had turned on for the movers that drones in the background like a low annoying hum.

It wasn't about me liking Phil anymore, it was about Phil not even being here anymore, here with me. Kenzie had won and all I was left with was Phil's bedsheets and broken stress mushroom that still sits on his dresser from Phil is not on fire 7.