Answers

Fen'Asha braced herself for the ground, but it never came. Despite plummeting through space for what seemed like ages, she soon found herself sinking upward and floating gingerly to a surging surface. She was suspended and looked down, spotting a rocky base below. She dropped onto it.

She looked around, expecting to find the dragon and feel the fire. There was nothing. Green shimmered in the distance and rock was everywhere, with shards of crystal emerging from shimmering pools of bleak, staring water.

"Where are we?" came a voice. It was Stroud.

"We were falling," said Hawke. He was above Fen'Asha, defying gravity and common sense. "Are we dead?"

"No," said Solas. He looked around as he stood next to Fen'Asha. "This is the Fade."

Fen'Asha nodded slowly, processing the possibility.

"The Inquisitor opened a rift, we came through," continued Solas. "And we survived." He stepped around Fen'Asha, peering up and looking off in the distance.

Stroud and Hawke exchanged looks.

"The Black City is so near," said Solas.

Fen'Asha saw the shadows forming towers and structures, a misty mirage that looked close enough to touch. The air was moving, she was sure of it. She reached toward the flickering expanse, felt nothing between her fingers. She sighed.

"Cole, how does it feel to be home?" Solas said.

"I can't be here," Cole exclaimed. He was faltering. "No. No."

Solas reached for Cole and pulled him to his level, putting a hand on his shoulder. "It's alright," he said. "We'll make it alright."

"This is wrong," Cole said. "I made myself forget when I made myself real. But I know it wasn't like this."

"This is not how I remember the Fade, either," said Hawke. "Perhaps it's because we're here physically rather than dreaming."

"Wherever we are, we have to move," said Stroud. "The rift the demons came through was close. Can we escape that way?"

Fen'Asha nodded. "Sounds like the best option."

Stroud and Hawke were pulled down to the same level as the rest of the party and they moved on, pushing through the haze of the Fade and focusing on the Breach as it swirled in the distance. The Fade seemed limitless.

"This is fascinating," said Solas as they passed unsteady formations and broadening bursts of emerald light.

Cassandra moved carefully. "This is dangerous," she said.

"The Fade is not to be feared," replied Solas. "It is shaped by intention and emotion. Focus and it will lead us where we want to go."

A low rumble pushed through the ground below.

"The demon that controls this area is powerful," said Solas. "Some variety of Fear demon, I presume. Be wary of its manipulations."

The group continued moving, Fen'Asha and Solas taking in various landmarks of the Fade. Cassandra continued in her vigilant way, while Cole remained near the back with Stroud and Hawke.

The Black City ever lingered above, portentous and lovely at once. It was the seat of the Maker, apparently. If that was the case, where was the Maker? And if the Maker was here, what about the Dread Wolf? He was said to prowl the Fade, after all.

Fen'Asha clutched her stone and prayed for guidance, sending silent pleas to anyone and anything resting in the expanse. A light glistened and she walked toward it, the Inquisition in tow. They reached a woman in Chantry robes, an odd fixture in such a place.