Reunion

Fen'Asha was more than pleased to be back at Skyhold, but Josephine was fretting.

"You have returned just in time," said the Ambassador, catching the Inquisitor as she stepped out of the carriage. "We must prepare you for what is to come."

"It's nice to be back," said Fen'Asha with a sigh.

"Your enemies have been colluding against you," said Josephine. "Your work over the past years has done little to discourage their lust for power. Your reputation is...shall we say, dubious."

"So what's the plan?"

"We must head for the Winter Palace immediately," said Josephine. "Divine Victoria calls the Exalted Council."

"The Exalted Council?"

"I will explain on the way," said Josephine, urging Fen'Asha along.

The Inquisitor turned around and climbed right back up into the carriage with a sigh. She nudged Scout Harding, who'd only just awoken, and told her of the next journey. The dwarf sighed and resigned herself for another nap.

"Orlais seeks to control the Inquisition," said Josephine. "And Fereldan wants it disbanded."

Fen'Asha nodded.

"Divine Victoria calls the Exalted Council as a way to determine our fate," said Josephine. "She has done her best to assuage the concerns of the nobility. It has been years since the defeat of Corypheus and time has changed things."

Fen'Asha closed her eyes. Had it been that long? She had kept herself occupied, continued to serve the Inquisition, continued to lead, continued to follow.

"We need for you to speak with Teagan Guerrin, the Fereldan ambassador," continued Josephine. "And Cyril de Montfort, the representative from Orlais."

"Terrific," said Fen'Asha.

"Cyril will want to transform the Inquisition into a vassal of Orlais," said Josephine. "A body to do their bidding, so to speak. And Teagan, the Bann of Rainesfere, wishes to dismantle it entirely."

"I understand," said Fen'Asha. She felt her hand, warm to the touch. It shimmered.

"The good news is that Teagan is a fan of Varric's," continued Josephine.

Fen'Asha smiled.

"Your companions will be at the Winter Palace," said Josephine, finally breaking into a sense of calm. "But we must be on our best behaviour. The very fate of the Inquisition depends on it."

The rest of the journey passed quickly, with Fen'Asha excited to see her friends and anxious about the fate of the Inquisition. She had never intended it to operate in service of the likes of Orlais, favoured closure. But she couldn't shake the value of her legacy, couldn't deny that she wanted to be remembered for who and what she was. She did not want to fall to the same fate of Ameridan, but perhaps that was out of her hands after all.

Divine Victoria was the first to greet Fen'Asha when she arrived at the familiar Winter Palace. She bowed her head, looking radiant.

"Divine Victoria," said Fen'Asha.

"Inquisitor," said Divine Victoria.

The Divine took Fen'Asha's arm and led her away from the carriage, walking her into the Winter Palace. "I am supposed to be impartial as a representative of the Chantry," she said. "But impartiality is beyond me. I will always be your friend, Inquisitor. And I will hardly ignore the fate of the Inquisition that I began."