Satiated

Svarah Sun-Hair Janesdotten sat bundled on her throne, finally ready to talk. Negotiations had proven complex, but the Thane of the impressive Stone-Bear Hold had her reasons for hesitation. Relations were rocky, to put it mildly, with the Avvar warrior Gurd Harofsen and his Jaws of Hakkon. These aggressive followers of Hakkon Wintersbreath, the supposed Lord of Winter, gave Svarah more than her share of headaches.

"You wish passage to the Lady's Rest, then," said Svarah Sun-Hair.

Fen'Asha nodded.

"Your forces have paid us much regard and you have returned our Hold Beast," said the Thane. "And it appears the Hakkonites are responsible."

Fen'Asha nodded again. She didn't know much about this particular affair.

Svarah sighed.

"Will you help us?" asked Fen'Asha.

Svarah nodded. "Speak with Arvid. He will grant use of the boat for the Lady's Rest. But be careful."

"Thank you," said Fen'Asha.

"You are a mage," observed Svarah Sun-Hair.

"Yes."

"We have heard much of your mages," she said with a smirk. "Our mages, they do not share your apprehensions."

"Apprehensions?" asked Fen'Asha.

Svarah shifted. "Our mages are...merged with the spirits from the very beginning," she said. "The spirits are teachers and the mages do not fear them. They do not fear such trivialities as possession or so-called abominations."

Fen'Asha nodded. "Perhaps there is wisdom in that."

"Perhaps?" said Svarah with a chuckle. "There is only one way for us. We seek them in battle and in love. They live among us, in our holds, in our lands. And the Lady in the Skies takes the dead to their people once more."

"Your beliefs are important..." said Fen'Asha.

"Our beliefs are everything," said Svarah. "They are the air we breathe, the water, the blood."

"We seek to control," said Fen'Asha.

"You fear," said Svarah.

"Yes..."

"You will learn much," said Svarah. "See Arvid." She waved her hand.

Professor Kenric was more than pleased to learn of Fen'Asha's experiences with Svarah Sun-Hair and the Lady's Rest. She poured wine and told him the story several times, watching him feverishly take notes at his desk.