Masked

The Inquisition returned to Skyhold only to discover that they would be departing again. This time, they were to head to Emprise du Lion.

Fen'Asha found Dagna before they departed, wanting to know more about the Fade after the dwarf had pulled "pieces" from her clothing after Adamant.

"I've learned something," said Dagna as she toyed with a contraption in the undercroft. "I think."

"What is it?" Fen'Asha smiled coming closer.

"Well, it's weird..."

"Well, that goes without saying."

"Lyrium and the Fade are linked," Dagna said. "But dwarves and the tranquil are not linked. They both work lyrium, so they would have to be. Right?"

"Okay..." Fen'Asha chewed her lip. "I think I see what you mean... But how is the Fade connected?"

"Well..." Dagna frowned. "I...I found myself face-deep in a rune...And I was tall. I was really tall. And I thought all the thoughts."

"You thought all the thoughts?" Fen'Asha raised her eyebrow.

Dagna sighed. "I...how do I put this? I was around all my people, right? And what I thought was what they thought. And what they thought was what I thought. Right?"

Fen'Asha shrugged. "So, your thoughts were their thoughts?"

Dagna shook her head. "No. My thought was all our thoughts. Parts of it, right?"

Fen'Asha shook her head.

"Words suck," said Dagna. "Maybe that's what the Stone feels like. Or what we think it feels like. Right?"

"Okay..."

"I was...tall," said Dagna.

"Yes, you were tall," said Fen'Asha.

"But I was moving," said the arcanist. "I saw a Shaperate carve the Wall of Memory, but in jumbo size. Big. Is that weird?"

"Yes?"

Dagna frowned.

"So the tranquil and dwarves are linked to lyrium?" asked Fen'Asha.

Dagna nodded.

"And not linked?"

"Right. Like, the lyrium needs to flow," said Dagna. "But if you're part of it, it takes you with it. So you can't be part of it, right? There's something sad about that."

"Alright..." Fen'Asha sighed.

"I hate this," said Dagna. "I have answers. But I don't."

"All the more reason to keep looking," said Fen'Asha. "Keep trying."

Dagna nodded. She smiled.

"But how is lyrium and the Veil connected? If lyrium allows magic to flow... but only non-magical people can handle it..." Fen'Asha searched the rock over head for answers. It had none.

"The Veil..." Dagna said. "Is like opposite... Tranquil and dwarves don't have access but mages have full access...Right? So the Veil is the opposite of lyrium."

Fen'Asha nodded slowly. "So... What does that make the Veil?"

Dagna nodded. "Exactly. Want a cup of cocoa now? Cause that's as far as I got before I needed a cup of cocoa."

Fen'Asha nodded, "Yes, please."

After a soothing cup of cocoa Fen'Asha left the curious dwarf and the Undercroft. She began to wander Skyhold, meaning to visit with her companions, but found herself once again gravitating towards Solas.