Foci

The dragon screeched and sailed back against the horizon, hanging for a moment over Corypheus' forces below. They crowded the mountain pass, a bulk if indiscriminate dark figures in the snow. They waited before the bridge leading to Skyhold.

Fen'Asha watched from the ramparts, shook her head. It made no sense.

"They are stalling," said Morrigan.

A crow soared across the field and landed on Leliana's arm, delivering a note. She unfurled it. "We are trapped and Corypheus is not among these forces."

"Then..." wondered Fen'Asha.

"This is a distraction," said Leliana.

"We must prepare the trebuchets," said Cullen.

"And if we bury the mountain pass along with them?" countered Leliana.

An answer burst from the sky to the south, as the Breach ripped wide open. The heavens swirled chaotically and Fen'Asha's Anchor responded, enveloping her hand in a sickly green glow. She trembled, gripping her wrist and dropping to her knees. "Corypheus," she growled.

The trees rustled on the cliffs nearby and snow was caught adrift, with a rush of wind roaring down upon them. The air dashed past in a scream, in a blast of anger and despair as though spirits were being wrenched from the Fade itself. Shadowy figures plunged from the heavens, accompanying the screams on the way down.

"Demons," Solas said.

"Why would he do this?" Leliana asked.

"Either I close the breach again, or it swallows the world," Fen'Asha scowled.

"Suicidal piece of shit," Sera spat.

"Inquisitor, we can send the forces..." Cullen said.

"Only the mages could..." Fen'Asha began.

"They are preparing their trebuchets. Get back," shouted Cullen pulling the Inquisitor behind him.

Cullen's order ran through the lines but it was too late. In a barrage of shattered stone and smoke, the weaponry of Corypheus' army was apparent. They'd besieged the bridge, torn apart the only way in or out of Skyhold with several short flares from the beyond.

Cullen hollered for the troops to pull back from the crumbling bridge and back through the great doors of Skyhold. "They're sealing us in," he shouted.

"Shit," snarled Fen'Asha. She looked down to the bridge. Flames simmered below as stone still plummeted into the desolation of fire and ruination, rising smoke curling into the air, remnants of so many journeys cast into nothing. As the world would soon be cast into nothing.

The Breach roiled overhead, a mess of clouds, magic and thunder swirling into chaos and disaster and...

"I can take you," Morrigan shouted over the din.

Fen'Asha looked to the witch.

"As a dragon," she said. "But I can only take two."

Fen'Asha nodded. Hope. She scanned the faces of the Inquisition.

"You know the orb," she said to Solas.

Solas nodded.

Morrigan climbed into the crevice between the battlements and jumped in a thick cloud of purple smoke that gave way to a great violet dragon. She hovered near the ramparts, screeching like an angry bird. She plucked the two elves from the rock wall and took to the sky.

The dragon raised and soared, plunging down into the valley near the ruined bridge and the awaiting Venatori before arcing upward. Fen'Asha clung to her talons, the wind whooshing through her hair. The Breach loomed closer and closer with every moment, the land below whisking by in a blur of white and blue.