Twenty: Say It Again

A/N: All I have to say is that the story is about to get really intense. ;)
__________
Song of the chapter:
Run For Your Life by The Fray
__________

The gravel beneath my sneakers crunched as we continued walking, but I still had no idea where we were. We had been walking at least fifteen minutes along the same path that had large masses of trees on either side of it. The smell of leaves from the trees entered my nose every time the gentle nighttime breeze swept by, along with another familiar, salty scent that I couldn't point out. It bothered me because I wanted to know where he was taking me.

Not a single word was spoken between us, the silence anything but comfortable.

It was beginning to get a bit cold, so I buried my hands in the sleeves of my sweatshirt and clutched the material in my hands to keep warm. I wondered how Justin wasn't at all cold because he wore only a tshirt. From the corner of my eye, I could see he had his hands buried deep in his pockets, so maybe he was cold too.

I must not have been paying attention, because with my following step, my foot sunk a little into the ground-- sand. Looking around, the trees ended and left a large opening for the beach. The water sparkled beneath the moon. Not many people were there from what I saw, nobody but a group of people by a fire in the distance. It wasn't surprising considering it was late at night.

I stopped and when Justin realized I did, he turned around from feet away.

"Aren't you coming?" he asked, his eyes locked on mine. I bit the inside of my cheek, contemplating my following words. I gained the urge to argue with him, but I fought it off. I needed to stop doing that because it wasn't right to do that to him. All he had ever done was help me.

So, I walked up to his side, and we both walked together towards the water that was about the length of a football field away. His body beside me transferred a warmth that I craved more of but I couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't give him any idea that I wanted something more with him. I just couldn't.

"What did you need to tell me earlier?" I asked softly, looking up at him. As he moved his eyes down to mine, the soft wind pushed pieces of his hair back, causing my mind to flash back on a few hours prior when I was running my fingers through it. It was so soft and perfect in every way.

I'd do anything to go back to that moment.

"Well, to answer your question from before about why I brought you here," he began, his eyes finding the water ahead of us again. "it's because you were so shaken and I-- I needed to get you somewhere that was quiet. You needed it."

Looking down, I nodded slowly and bit my bottom lip gently. "Thanks for that."

I felt his eyes on me and cautiously brought mine to his as we walked. What I saw left me breathless. His eyes sparkled more than the stars scattered above us and the shadowing on his face brought everything together.

Why didn't I kiss him a few hours ago? I wondered. I sure as hell would do it if I had another chance.

Pushing a strand of hair behind my ear, I looked back down at the ground and contemplated my feelings once again. It was so wrong to like him-- wasn't it? Of course it was. He was perfect in every way. He deserved the equivalent, not me.

I'm trying to protect him.

We were just feet away from the shoreline that slowly moved up and down with each subtle wave. I looked up at the tall figure, becoming immediately entranced with the chocolate brown eyes that I needed a moment to adjust to because of the darkness. Although they weren't on mine, I couldn't keep myself from looking.