Forty-One: Demons

Chapter Forty-one: Demons
__________
Song of the chapter:
Nothing Like Us by Justin Bieber
__________

I was nearly sick from what I was seeing. I had absolutely no clue as to what was going on and why she was openly threatening to kill herself in front of Mark. All I knew was that I needed to stop her before she went through with something that could never be undone and would haunt me forever.

"Natalie," my voice was quiet. It was all I could manage to get out of my system.

She looked at me, her entire body was trembling with fear and nerves. "Justin, you shouldn't be here. Just go," she cried.

I shook my head and slowly began to approach her, trying not to be too quick because she could easily slit her throat faster than I could get to her.

"I'm not leaving you," I murmured, still keeping at least five feet between us. I wanted to get within arms length of her, but I'd have to take my time. "Just tell me what's wrong. Talk to me."

She drew in a breath and departed her eyes from me. "I don't want to talk about it. Please, just go, I don't want you to have to see me like this."

"I told you, I'm not leaving you," I shook my head again. I brought her attention up to mine. "Look at me. I need you to be honest with me like we always are with each other. This is no different from those other times, okay?"

I was just about arms length away from her when she backed up, not liking that I was so close. I put my hands up defensively, showing her I'd stop if that made her more comfortable.

Mark was still behind us on the other side of the room, his mind most likely running in circles. He didn't know about the cutting or how suicidal she was. It was all new and most likely terrifying to him, regardless of what he had seen from his occupation. Being a detective, he'd seen some of the most gruesome things. But none of them had ever involved someone he considered a daughter.

Turning my head to him, I mouthed "call for help." Natalie's arm was bleeding badly and I knew it was something a little gauze and saline solution couldn't fix. It wasn't one of her minor mishaps anymore-- it was serious.

He nodded and slowly exited the room to get a phone.

"Where is he going?" Natalie asked, her voice nervous and shaky. She was paranoid.

"Relax," I breathed out. "He's just leaving us alone for now. So now you can be honest with me, okay?"

She appeared frustrated. "Justin, he knows what's wrong! He's the one that told me!"

"Okay. Then tell me. I want to help you."

If it was any other time, I was sure she would have fought back. But in that moment, she was so tired and fragile that she couldn't even scrape up some energy to do so. Just by looking at her, I could sense how sick and tired she was of fighting her demons. She couldn't do it anymore.

"My dad died," her voice was soft, confused, and mostly hurt. She used her other hand that wasn't holding the glass to her neck to wipe away the wetness from beneath her eyes. "After I came in to get ready to come over to your house, Mark told me."

My expression dropped, my eyes filling with sympathy for her. I knew that after everything that had happened between her and her parents, she still loved them. That would never go away.

"I know I said I never wanted to see him again and it probably looked like I didn't care, but I did. He was my best friend at one point in my life and now he's-- he's gone because he literally drank himself to death!" her voice was raising and I could feel her words dripping with hatred. Not for him, not for her mom, but for the situation in general. It was tragic and unfair. "He would have never been that way if it weren't for my mom. It's her fault! She made yet another mistake that she can never fix!"