Twelve: "Solemnly swear."

__________
Song of the chapter:
Things I'll Never Say by Avril Lavigne
__________

Soon after everything happened with Chelsea, we walked back to Justin's car that was parked on the side of the road. Neither of us said much since. It wasn't awkward or tension-filled, we just didn't say anything.

Honestly, I didn't have any idea as to what was running through his mind. It wasn't that I didn't care, because I did. I was just too busy being swallowed by my own thoughts.

It wasn't normal for people to stick up for me the way he did. It wasn't normal for someone like him to turn down someone pretty like Chelsea. It wasn't normal to have someone's eyes focused into mine the way his were. But as much as I wanted to reject what happened, it happened.

I swallowed hard and focused my eyes out of the dashboard, trying my hardest to look like everything was completely fine. I knew I was pulling it off, but it was kind of hard to keep up.

"Is everyone in this town like her?" Justin finally asked, deciding to break the heavy silence.

Turning to him, I stifled a laugh. I could see he had a slight smile drawn on his lips, hoping to lighten the mood a little bit. He succeeded.

"Pretty much. That's why I don't talk to anyone," I sighed, feeling unusually comfortable with talking about it. "They've all got their heads shoved so far up each other's asses, it's sickening."

He laughed and so did I. Not because I thought what I said was funny, but because his laughter pulled one out of me. It was almost contagious.

I shifted my gaze back to him, watching his smile fade into a soft one that stayed there.

"Thanks for letting me know, then. I'll be sure to steer clear of everyone once school starts," he declared, a hint of sarcasm clear in his voice.

I nodded and looked back up at the dashboard. I started thinking about Mark. What I did to him the night before was more than unacceptable. I'd never snapped at him like that before. I didn't really even yell at him, but I still did something I normally wouldn't. Plus, it's not like he needed anymore trouble in his life. He already had one of the most difficult jobs out there, and I wasn't making it any easier by being a bitch all the time.

Did I feel bad? No, I felt terrible. I should have never lied to him about the whole "friend" thing in the first place. I was sure that hurt him more than my minor meltdown. If I had been honest with him from the start, maybe things wouldn't have been so bad.

That got me thinking some more.

Why was Pattie crying last night when I went to the front door to ask where Justin was? And even more importantly, why was Justin so mad? Should I ask him?

No. No, I can't. We were getting along so well. I can't ruin it.

"Do you want to go do something else?" Justin asked, taking me away from my thoughts for the second time.

Looking down at my watch, I saw that it was almost five thirty. I looked back up at him and furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"Sure, I don't mind," I shrugged. "But isn't your mom expecting you home?"

I noticed that his jaw immediately tightened at the mentioning of his mom, just clarifying that something really did happen the night before. His face was almost equally as hard as it was when we had our run-in with Chelsea. I had definitely hit a nerve.

He shook his head and tightened his grip on the steering wheel. I kept my eyes on him, trying to pick up anything that could tell me what happened between the two who seemed to be really close. All I could get out of him was anger.