Fifteen: You should've known.

__________
Song of the chapter:
How To Save A Life by the Fray
__________

No matter how much I hated what happened, I couldn't take it back. It was all out there and Justin was there to see it all go down. He knew about every single thing that I kept inside for years, and I'd only known him for a piece of the summer. I was extremely uneasy about it.

After my meltdown in town when I thought Justin was the one who was killed, I had told myself I would never open up to anybody like that ever again. But there I was with Justin again, crying into his shirt after telling him every little fucked up detail of my life.

When my eyes fluttered open to see the summer's daylight, I wasn't surprised to see my surroundings. As much as I hoped that it didn't happen, it did. It was only clarified when I saw I was in Justin's room the following morning.

Sitting up and rubbing my eyes, I looked to my right and saw an empty spot next to me. Where he was, I didn't know. I ran my fingers through my hair and looked out the window, seeing my house across the street. It was weird seeing it from that perspective considering I never had before. But it didn't make it any different. The house looked just as big and boring as the rest of them did. It was nothing special, and seeing the house from that point of view just clarified it for me.

"Good morning," a familiar voice said from across the room. I turned my head to the side, meeting eyes with none other than Justin. His hair was neatly tousled and he wore a black t-shirt with jeans. For some reason, I found myself looking at him in a different light. Not as a stranger but not as a friend either. As something different. Something I hadn't seen someone as in a really long time because I was too afraid to. But in that moment, I couldn't get myself to stop.

Tossing my hand up, I waved and gave him a pushed half-smile. "Hey."

"I was just coming to check on you to see if you were alive," he laughed, burying his hands deep in his pockets. I cocked my head to the side in confusion, studying his face but not saying anything. "It's past two in the afternoon now."

My eyes grew wide and I shot out of bed, slipping my sneakers back on my feet that lay at the end of the bed. "Oh my god, I've got to get home. Mark's probably worried and I--"

"Relax," he chuckled at my flustered actions. I stopped acting so frantic and looked up at him in the middle of tying my shoe. "I went over there this morning and told him you just crashed here. He didn't seem to mind at all."

Sighing, I nodded and stood up. I looked to the side, avoiding his gaze that somehow had a new effect over me. It was a new effect I wasn't comfortable with at all. "I should probably get going anyways. I have to, uh, do some stuff and--"

He was watching me, I could tell, but I didn't acknowledge it. I was trying to pretend that what happened the night before didn't happen because if I avoided it, maybe it would really go away. At least, that's what I thought.

He began moving over to me but I still continued talking in hopes to look unbothered by his actions. He then rested both hands on my hips and pulled my body into his, where he wrapped his arms around me entirely. I stood still.

"It's okay," he whispered softly. I shut my eyes and felt nothing but comfort by his presence, which was a complete flip from what I felt before. "I'm not going to treat you differently. I promise."

Knowing exactly what he meant, I didn't say a word. Not because I didn't want to, but because I didn't know how to respond to something like that. I never expected him to be so understanding and mature about it. He only made it clearer to me that he was someone I could trust.