Thirty-Eight: Second Chance

Chapter Thirty-eight: Second Chance
__________
Song of the chapter:
I Love You More Than You Will Ever Know by Never Shout Never
__________

She drove me wild. The way she spoke, the way she would softly giggle in between words, and every single other little thing about her. She had me feeling insane, but I was okay with it.

It was nearing four o'clock in the morning. She had a blanket draped over her shoulders and by the way she was tensed up in her sitting position, I knew she was kind of cold. Her hands were in the sleeves of her sweatshirt and her arms were crossed over her.

I stood up, mid-conversation, and held out my hand for her to take. Her tired eyes lit up, no matter how much she hated those cliché little things. Sometimes they were necessary. Even she was capable of getting butterflies and feeling numb from the little things. I knew that.

She took my hand and I pulled her up to her feet, her blanket falling from her shoulders. I scooped it up in my hands and walked closer to the small body of water where there was a bit more of an opening to the sky. There were less trees there.

I stopped to face her, her eyes questioning. I wrapped the blanket around my own shoulders, then opened my arms wide. She didn't move, though. She half-smiled.

"Come here," I pleaded, biting my lip.

She crossed her arms over her stomach again and chewed the inside of her cheek as if she was contemplating her decision. I knew she was kidding, but I didn't say anything to play off of it. I was so happy that she was slowly returning to normal. I couldn't have been more grateful.

Eventually she gave in, moving her body into me. I wrapped my arms around her, covering her with the blanket in the process. She moved into me closer, the side of her face against my chest and her arms circling my torso. I could feel her heart beating against me.

"I didn't think it would be so cold," she mumbled into my shirt.

I smiled and rested my lips on her head, my nose nuzzling into her hair. "Me neither. I guess you just suck at planning dates."

She laughed and I kissed her head, my hands moving in circles on her back to keep her warm.

It was strange. I had no idea what we were or what she made of us. I didn't know if we were together or if we were just friends or what, but I knew that I wanted to be with her. I wanted to make her mine for a very, very long time. Also, it was so surreal to have her close with me like that again after everything that happened between us. I wouldn't have blamed her if she never wanted to speak to me again, but she did. She was giving me a second chance.

She lifted her head and hung it back so she was looking up at me. Her lips were formed in their natural pout and when I looked at her, she softly smiled.

"Maybe coming here was a bad idea," she sighed, referring to how cold it was getting.

I dipped my head low and rested my forehead over hers, feeling her cold nose against mine. "I think so, too. Do you want to go back home, or--"

"No," she shook her head. "but maybe we could, um, sleep in your car instead."

I smiled and nodded. I knew that if I put the seats down in the back, we would have just enough room to sleep there. So, I let her go and we proceeded to grab all of the pillows and blankets off the ground. Once we had them all, we moved over to my Jeep and I opened the back. I placed the blankets down and then moved around to the side door, pushing each of the seats down flat. After that, we both lay all of the blankets down flat and the pillows too.