Understanding Nothing

Connor kicked his feet back and forth as he watched Grant wander the isles blocking the shelves. He never understood why it was called blocking, all that was done was being the objects farther in the back forward, nothing to do with blocking anything.

"Can I change the song?" Connors shouted, "this one kinda sucks."

"Not as much as you do." Grant snapped back as he reached deep into the shelf to grab a box, "so no, no you can't."

"Well, to be fair, we both kinda suck" Wiggling his eyebrows suggestively Connor hopped down from the counter and made his way over to his friend. "So how much longer."

"I will make it an hour if you don't shut up."

"Ooh come on! I don't want to sit around in this dingy ass store waiting for a shipment that may never come." Connor whined loudly, "why don't we just leave and say they never showed up?"

"Well if I leave, cause technically I am the only person that had to stay, and say the shipment didn't show up and it does shut up then that's several thousand dollars worth of live feeders and goods sitting outside in the cold until morning. That means several thousand dollars worth of products that could be broken or stolen, which would cost me my job that I would very much like to keep."

"Well at least give me your keys and let me go home, I will come back in an hour or so to get you." Connor tried to reason.

"No."

Connor let out a loud groan, "can I at least text Jack to come and pick me up?"

"Please do, I am tired of hearing all your whining."

"My lord!" Connor gasped loudly, "I do not whine!"

Grant rolled his eyes, "yeah sure you don't, cause everything that had came out of your mouth in the past hour has not been you bitching about being here."

"It hasn't" Connor pointed out, "it's been coming up with reasons for the both of us to leave."

"There won't be a hurricane I can promise you that."

"How about a spontaneous tornado? Hmm, can't promise me that we won't get one of those."

Grant laughed at his friends reasoning, "you say it like a tornado is just gonna be like 'you know I am feeling like destroying a small town for no reason.'"

"You never know." Connor shrugged as he tugged out his phone."Plus, there's no need to mock me!"

"Trust me there's a lot of reasons to mock you." Grant chuckled as he headed towards the back of the store, "I am going to double check waters, you stay out of trouble."

"No promises!" Connor shouted back.

Hey, what are you doing?

Connor waited patiently for response, his eyes wandering around the quant store. It did not take long for Jack to respond however.

Just chilling at home bored out of my mind, how about you?

Ooh you know the usual, waiting at Grants work for him to finish before I can go home. Fun all around haha!

Sure sounds like it, however I can't help but feel like you didn't just text me to check in on me.

But what if I did?

You are trapped with Grant and want to go home, but he is your ride and isn't leaving so you want me to come and get you.