Chapter 3

I woke up in the car, and my mom was speeding down the road, as per usual. But we weren't going the way we usually do.

"Mom?" I croaked.

She turned to me for a second and smiled.

"Glad to see you're awake. I figured you'd like a treat, so I'm taking you to get ice cream."

That sounded heavenly right now. I watched the people on the streets, wondering what had happened to them three days ago. Had they been attacked and almost ripped open? By a guy that called himself Jeff the Killer? Sounded a bit narcissistic to me. Then the realization hit me, I hadn't been to school in three days. I was behind by a lot now, and I'd have to cram so hard to catch up. At least that was the most of my problems. I wouldn't have to worry about Jeff again.

I kept telling myself that as we rode to baskin robbins. I got a single scoop chocolate chip cookie dough, just like I always did. But as we were walking out of the store, I saw a familiar white hoodie in the crowd. He turned around, and through his hood I could just barely make out a scarred smile.

Jeff.

My heart fell through my stomach as he smirked, turning away. He was lost in the crowd, and I realized my mom was calling my name. I had stopped dead in my tracks and now my mom was worried.

"Mandy? What's wrong, hun?"

"Nothing mom, I just thought... I saw someone I knew."

"You looked so scared! Was it - Did you see him? Your attacker?"

"No mom, it wasn't him. It was a friend from school," I explained.

Why was I lying to her? Why was I protecting him when he was following me? He was going to kill me eventually, I now knew. Why not save myself the trouble and get him arrested?

I didn't have any of the answers by the time we got home. My mom forgot about the incident, or so I hoped. I didn't need her thinking I was in danger. But I was, and that's what scared me up into my room. I closed my door behind me and dove under the covers. I closed my eyes for a second and opened them some time later when someone wrapped their hand over my mouth.

I tried to scream but he wrapped his other hand around my throat. Too close to my face, he whispered in my ear.

"I told you I'd be back, Miranda."

He let go of my throat and extracted a gleaming knife from wherever he kept it. He held it to my throat again, and I clammed up. I couldn't say or do anything, because I knew, this time, he was actually going to kill me. He dug the knife deeper into my skin, and when I didn't struggle or whine, he stopped.

"You aren't going to struggle? Or beg me to spare you?"

I turned to him, both of us awkwardly laying on my bed. He's in my bed. I could yell and my mom would come running. But no, he was faster than that. I've seen it myself.

"No. I'm not. Because if you're going to kill me, I might as well die with my dignity."

He looked shocked, and then he started to smile. But it was a hideous smile, the smile of a mad man. Just then there was a knock at the door. Jeff jumped up and rolled under my bed just as my mom pushed open the door.

"Honey? Who were you talking to?" she asked, worriedly looking around.

"Just myself, mom. I'm shocked from what happened, and I... I'm scared," I whimpered, mustering up a terrified look.

She came over to my bed and sat down next to me. She stroked my hair and kissed my forehead.

"Don't be scared baby. The police are going to find this man, and they're going to lock him up for a very long time. You don't have to worry about him."

I pretended like her words assured me, but she didn't know my would-be killer was hiding under my bed. She left after that, and Jeff crawled from under the bed.

"You didn't tell her," he questioned, astonished.

"No I didn't, because I knew you'd kill my mother. I know how fast you are, and I know you're going to kill me anyway. So do it."

He hesitated, and I could see uncertainty in his eyes.

"What? Are you going to spare me now? Because I didn't get you locked up like you belong?"

He tensed, his eyes hardening.

"I don't spare anybody. But I'll draw out your death. I'll mess with your mind until you're practically begging me to kill you. Just wait."

He jumped out the window after that, and I wondered why I hadn't told her. He was right there, waiting for me to rat him out. That would've been the smart thing to do. But I'm not smart, that's my problem. Or was I? I don't know. Maybe I'll never know why I didn't rat on him. But right now, the only thing that mattered was sleep.