Chapter 8

I laid in my bed, a cigarette in one hand, a book in the other. I tried to focus on the words in front of me, but my mom was banging around downstairs, making it hard to concentrate. I was feeling sadder than usual today, the reason I was smoking. It was a terrible habit but it made me feel lighter.

Believe it or not, I missed Jeff. I had only spent moments with him, but those moments made me happy. I gave up on the book and tossed it on the corner of my bed. I inhaled the last of the cigarette and dumped it in an old soda can. I quietly closed my bedroom door behind me and made my way downstairs. My mom was in the kitchen, covered in flour.

"Baking again, mom?"

Her head shot up from a cookbook and she smiled. "Of course. A single dad just moved in down the street and I'm making cookies. I spilled the flour."

I grinned at her obvious disparity. She may be desperate, but she was oblivious to it. There was a sheet of gooey cookies on the counter so I stuffed one in my mouth before she could say something. She glared at me instead, and I smiled, chocolate chip covering my teeth. She rolled her eyes and I just grinned.

I sat down in one of the chairs to pull my shoes on. Don't worry, they're converse, not Uggs.

"Going somewhere?" mom questioned.

"To Georgia's," I replied.

"Ok, but call me if you're gonna be out late. Somebody was murdered a couple days ago."

I paused, looking up at her. "What?" Why hadn't I heard of this? She should've told me something like this right away.

"Yeah, I forgot to tell you. A girl your age, she was stabbed and her mouth was cut open. They said it looked like some creepy smile. So I want you to be extra careful ok? Don't walk home after dark."

I nodded wordlessly, shocked. I was sure Jeff had done it. But who else had he killed while away? I was anxious to talk to him as I made my way on foot to Georgia's house. I had no way of finding Jeff on my own, and I had no clue where he'd even be. He probably didn't even want to be found.

I kept to the sidewalks, not taking any shortcuts through dark alleys. Georgia's place was 3 blocks away now, and I quickened my pace; Jeff said he wasn't the only person I should be worried about.

My trip to her house was uneventful, as was my time spent there. It was when the time to go home came that worried me. It was 7 ish, nearing dusk, but I walked home on my own anyway. I know, stupid thing to do, but I wanted to see Jeff so badly. Why was I feeling this way toward a murderer?

But I didn't have a thing to worry about, because my trip home was like any other. My mom would be mad that I walked on my own, but I didn't care about anything more than my own disappointment. I neared my house, ready to climb into bed, when I saw a package on the doorstep. My heart raced a little, already knowing -hoping- who it was from. I lifted it gently, pulling the taped note off of it.

Mandy,

I'm sorry I've been gone for so long. I'll be gone a little longer but I figured if you still cared you'd remember our little deal. Don't open the package, it's a 'surprise'. Knock on the guys door and leave this on the step. I don't want you getting hurt, so I figured this way would be safer. Don't worry about me, if you did. Just take care of yourself.

Yours, Jeff.

There was an address on the bottom and I sighed, trying to ease the butterflies in my throat. Jeff was still thinking about me, just as I was thinking of him. My Jeff. I took the package inside, avoiding my mom. I google mapped the address, not too far from here. I'd have to go in the morning, seeing as my mom wouldn't let me out.