Chapter 16

"Why do you smell like desperation and tears?" Freddie asked.

I had forgotten to wash my hair before leaving for school, so I was still covered in Jeff's killer stink.

"Actually it's desperation and blood, but you were close."

He wrinkled his nose and raised an eyebrow.

"It's not like that. He murders people for fun," I half joked.

"That's relieving," he sneered.

"Oh, don't be like that, Freds. You'll get a killer boyfriend too, one day."

He stared with that sassy eyebrow raised and I had to roll my eyes. If only Freddie really knew who I was seeing.

"Freddie, why do people do things like that?"

"Hmm?"

"Like that guy on the news; the one that cuts smiles in people's face after he kills them."

He looked down at me, eyes sympathetic. He could see the tears forming and pulled me into a hug. He kissed the top of my head and I cried into his shoulder.

"It's ok, hun. Is this about the guy that attacked you?" Nod. "You can't let that get to you. Do you think that guy on the news was the one that hurt you?" Nod.

He let go, and I was sure I looked like shit. He wiped my tears and helped fix my makeup.

"I'll get him for you, babe. Don't worry."

"But what if he comes back," I whispered.

He looked unsure about that one, and I knew there was nothing anyone could do.

Jeff's POV

"So you're going to help me, right?"

"I don't know, Jeff. She's my friend, I don't want to hurt her," Jack claimed uneasily.

I smiled and fell onto the couch with him.

"Then this is a good thing. She can stay with us, here. You get your friend and I get my love."

"She's so innocent," he sighed, "I don't think she'd hurt a fly."

"She doesn't have to kill people if she doesn't want to. But I'm sure she'll come around to it."

Jack pushed his hood down and ruffled his hair, thinking. He looked up, smiling.

"Do we have an agreement," I asked excitedly.

"We do. Tomorrow then?"

"No, tonight. The sooner I see her beautiful new face, the better."

Jack stood from the couch, "I'll get the alcohol, you get the lighter."