Chapter 19

"Your very own mask, ma'am."

Jack held out a royal purple mask, with screens over the eyes, black around the eyes, and black lips. I stood up, excited, and took the mask from him. It looked just like his, and I hugged him.

"Thank you so much," I told him, "I love it."

"Try it on," he insisted.

I tried to strap it on under my hair, but kept missing. Jack came up behind me and took it from my hands. He strapped it on and stepped back. It didn't feel hot like I thought it would. Instead the cold air slipped through somewhere, letting me breathe.

"How does it look?"

"Let's get you to a mirror," he said excitedly.

We went to the bathroom, with it's cracked mirror. I could see fine out of the eyes, and I looked perfect. I felt more beautiful than I had in a long time. In the mirror, Jack and I looked like we belonged together. I felt my cheeks flush.

"Thank you," I said again as I rushed out.

I put on my gray hoodie and headed outside. Jeff was somewhere around here chasing a cat he found in the house. I found him behind the house, looking under the porch.

"Is there gold under there?"

He looked up at my voice, smiling.

"No, this is where the cat went," he explained.

I thought he would take the mask as a shock, but he didn't even notice it.

"So, what do you think?"

"I already knew it would look good on you. Jack asked if it was ok," he said in response to my confused face.

"Oh, good. So, what are you going to do with the cat when you find it?"

"Kill it, of course. It has babies, so I'm going to kill them too."

"What? No, you can't do that!"

He looked up again, exasperated.

"Mandy, we can't have them running around."

"So I'll take them to a shelter. As long as I get to keep the cutest."

He rolled his eyes, stifling a sigh.

"Ok. Anything for you, babe."

He pulled the cats out one by one, ignoring the mothers cries. They looked about eight weeks old, the perfect time to separate them from their mom. There were six of them, each some shade of white. There was only one kitten that was mostly black, with white paws, and I took that one.

"What are you naming her?" Jeff asked.

"Erin. I'm taking the mother to the shelter too."

He sighed as I went inside to put Erin in my room. Jeff and I shared a room, while Jack had his pick of the other two. Occasionally Slendy visited, then got the other room. Ben never visits, but we hear about him from Slendy.

Jeff and Jack sometimes left me home alone when they went out, but usually one of them was home. Jeff wanted me to try to kill something, while Jack left me alone about it.

"Will you go to the shelter with me?" I asked Jack.

"Why, did Jeff catch that cat?"

"And it's kittens," I admitted as I held Erin out, "but we're keeping this one. Her name is Erin."

"Cute name," he replied, "but don't we need food?"

"And a litter box, and toys. But we can swipe some after dark, right?"