Chapter 24

I woke up when I heard the door open. Jeff was sleeping behind me, so I knew it wasn't him. I assumed it was Jack and tried to fall back asleep.

The door closed again, and a voice I didn't recognize said something I couldn't hear.

"Jeff, somebody's in the house."

"I know, I heard."

We sat in silence, and I was waiting for Jeff to say something. There were two sets of footsteps on the stairs, and they stopped just before Jack's door.

"They're in there," somebody whispered.

I felt Jeff tense behind me and knew it wasn't somebody he knew. Erin arched her back and started hissing at the door.

"Miranda, you need to get out and into the city."

"What about Jack?"

"He's smart enough to get out on his own," he whispered, pulling on his pants.

"What about you?"

He didn't answer. I pulled on sweatpants and Jeff's hoodie, moving as quietly as possible. I went to open the window, but before I could jump down they slammed the door open. There were two guys holding guns, and I was sure there were more outside.

Jeff jumped at them with his knife as I climbed over the window sill. One of them shot after I landed on the ground, bruising my ass. Later they'd find out that I had actually fractured my hip from that fall.

I got up, ignoring the pain, and ran through the trees, heading towards the shortest path to the city. I felt around for my knife but came up empty handed. I must have left it inside.

There was no noise from the house, only the crushing of leaves under my bare feet. I ran faster, trying to go as quickly and quietly as possible.

I worried for Jeff; he was a good fighter but guns in close range weren't much of a match for a knife.

I heard something behind me to my right, faked going left and ran right. My pursuer had heavy feet and made too much noise for others to not hear. I felt tears well up and braced myself for capture.

I heard others join in the chase and put everything I had into running as fast as I could. I couldn't see the trees around me because of my tears and the only thing I could hear was my own blood rushing in my ears.

Someone stepped in my path and I crashed into them, both of us falling to the ground. I tried to lift myself but they wrapped their arms around me and crushed me. I cried out as another bound my hands behind my back. I called out for Jeff until I was gagged and my head was covered. The gag was already wet from crying as I was lifted up, a knife was held to my back, and I was pushed back to where I came from.

"They got away!" an angry voice yelled.

"Are you fucking kidding me? Four men and you idiots can't even catch one of them!"

I was pushed to the ground and my cheek hit a rock.

"What do we do with her?"

"Just kill her. We don't need her anymore."

Metal pressed into the back of my head and I heard a click. I let out one last choked sob and hoped Jeff knew how much I loved him.